Petrobras to Reel in More Rigs for Offshore Santos Basin
RIO DE JANEIRO (Dow Jones Newswires), Jun. 22, 2009
Brazilian state-run energy giant Petrobras (PBR) expects to bring up to four more drilling rigs to a prospect in the offshore Santos Basin in the second half of the year.
The ultra-deepwater rigs will be used to "attack" areas in the subsalt region in the Santos Basin, Petrobras' Mario Carminatti told the local Estado news agency. The Santos Basin is home to the Tupi field, the Western Hemisphere's largest oil discovery in more than 30 years.
The rigs will be used to complete studies of the Tupi, as well as other subsalt drill targets, Petrobras' executive manager for exploration said.
"We have other areas of interest in the Santos Basin, all in the subsalt," Carminatti added.
Tupi is estimated to hold recoverable reserves of between 5 billion and 8 billion barrels of oil equivalent. It's located in the BM-S-11 block, part of a cluster of exploration blocks loaded with oil prospects hidden more than 7,000 meters under water, shifting salt and rock.
Carminatti's comments followed the announcement earlier Friday that Petrobras had reached a deal with Exxon Mobil (XOM) and Norwegian driller Seadrill (SDRL.OS) to take over control of Seadrill's West Polaris rig.
The West Polaris was drilling for Exxon in the BM-S-22 block, site of the Azulao and Guarani prospects.
Similar deals could be reached with other foreign oil majors with drilling rigs operating offshore Brazil, Carminatti said. The idea is to utilize downtime between contracts to squeeze in some drilling.
"This was already done with Repsol (REP), with Anadarko (APC) and now with Exxon," Carminatti said.
Copyright (c) 2009 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
Operates 16 Offshore Rigs
- ExxonMobil Reports Papua New Guinea Discovery (Jan 16)
- Exxon, BP Targeted in NYC Suit That Relies on 'Nuisance' Theory (Jan 10)
- ExxonMobil Reports More Offshore Guyana Success (Jan 05)
Company: Petrobras more info
Operates 34 Offshore Rigs
Manages 10 Offshore Rigs
- Exxon, Petrobras Form Alliance To Develop Oil, Gas Projects (Dec 14)
- Natural Gas In Petrobras Pipelines Up About 23% In 2017 (Dec 05)
- Petrobras CEO Says To Discuss Refining Partnership With CNPC CEO (Nov 15)
Company: Anadarko Petroleum more info
- Canadian Offshore Oil Interest Grows As Pipeline Woes Sink Alberta Prices (Dec 20)
- 4 Ways Agile Sourcing Can Lead Enterprises to Success (Nov 10)
- Gadfly: Anadarko Woke Up, and It Really Smells the Coffee (Nov 01)
Company: Repsol more info
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)
- Repsol Says Drilling Suspended On Vietnam Oil Block Disputed By China (Aug 02)
- China Urges Halt To Oil Drilling In Disputed South China Sea (Jul 25)
Company: Seadrill Ltd more info
- Norway's Seadrill Gets Two Rival Debt Restructuring Proposals (Oct 23)
- Seadrill's Debt Overhaul Faces Creditor Scrutiny (Oct 02)
- Seadrill Files for Bankruptcy in Bid to Shrink Debt Burden (Sep 13)