BG Gets Green Light to Delineate Old Oil Discovery in North Sea
The Norwegian Petroleum Directorate has granted BG Norge AS a drilling permit for wellbore 17/12-4.
Wellbore 17/12-4 will be drilled from the West Alpha semisub at position 58 degrees 10'37.58"N and 3 degrees 55'11.05"E.
The drilling program for wellbore 17/12-4 applies to the drilling of an appraisal well in production license 407. The well will delineate the old oil discovery 17/12-1, Bream. proven in 1972 by Phillips Petroleum Company. BG Norge AS is the operator with a 40 percent stake.
In March 1972, Bream's exploration well was drilled by the Ocean Viking semisub to a total depth of 4,298 meters and encountered middle Jurassic age at 2,292 meters. The well was permanently abandoned on June 21, 1972 when Bream was declared a discovery. BG Group acquired operatorship of Block 17/12 in 2007.
Licensees are Skeie Energy AS, Spring Energy Exploration AS and Premier Oil Norge AS, who all have 20 percent stakes. Production license 407 was awarded in APA 2006.
The area in the production license consists of parts of the blocks 17/8, 9, 11 and 12 northwest of the Yme field in the southeastern part of North Sea. Well 17/12-4 is the first exploration well in the production license.
The drilling permit is granted on the condition that all other permits and consents required by other authorities have been secured before the drilling activity commences.
- Shell Mulls LNG-Hub Network as Use by Ships and Trucks Expands (Jul 11)
- Tanzania Laws Would Allow Govt to Tear Up Mining, Energy Deals (Jun 29)
- Despite Cuts, Big Oil to Expand Production into the 2020s (Sep 05)
Company: Norwegian Petroleum Directorate more info
- NPD Grants Lundin Permit for Appraisal Well Offshore Norway (Jan 20)
- Aker BP Makes North Sea Find (Dec 23)
- Norwegian Production Rises (Dec 21)
Company: Premier Oil more info
- Britain's Premier Oil To Lift Peak Output At Catcher Field (Aug 23)
- Independents Go Big in North Sea (Jan 03)
- European Oil Producers' Weak Hedging Shows Bet on Price Rebound (Jul 31)
Company: Skeie Group more info
- Rowan Finalizes Skeie Drilling Transaction (Jul 19)
- Rowan to Buy Three KFELS N-Class Jackups for $1.2B (Jul 01)
- NPD Issues BG Norge Permit for Appraisal Well (Aug 24)
Company: Seadrill Ltd more info
- Fredriksen Is Back in Rigs After $5 Billion Vanished in Seadrill (Jul 06)
- Seadrill CEO Sees Consolidation Speeding Up Drilling Market Recovery (Jul 03)
- Seadrill Emerges From Chapter 11 Bankruptcy (Jul 02)