Helix Completes Thunder Hawk PLET Installation in Deepwater GOM
Helix Energy Solutions successfully completed installation of two 86-ton pipeline-end-termination (PLET) modules as a prelude to initiating production on Murphy Oil Co.'s Thunder Hawk development in the deepwater Gulf of Mexico.
The project marked the first time Helix had installed PLETs of this dimension in 6,000-plus water depth using a single-line crane. The units were installed from the 380-ft Helix Intrepid reeled pipelay vessel, which has 400-ton crane capacity and a 10,000-ft water depth capability.
A total of four PLETs were installed, including two 8-in infill flowline units and two 12-in. modules for tie-back into the Mardi Gras export lines. The individual mud-matted PLETs measured 40-ft x 40-ft with 20-in. connectors for the gas export line and 16-in. connectors to the oil line. With the connected 12-in. pipeline, the PLETs weighed up to 200 tons each. Helix is in the preparation phase of installing 16-in. and 20-in. export jumpers associated with the PLETs. Spitzer Industries fabricated the PLETs at its Green Bayou facility near Houston.
"While we previously have stabbed and laid down PLETs with only a crane, we never before had done so with ones this large and in this water depth. This job also required that the 8-in, PLETs be installed by sidestepping beneath a DP drilling vessel. Our project team developed the installation protocol for the PLETs, and the Intrepid crew carried out the plan with precision," said Helix Energy Solutions Project Manager Ron Tomon.
Murphy operates the Thunder Hawk field with a 37.5 percent interest. Partners ENI and Statoil each holds a 25 percent share while Marubeni holds the remaining 12.5 percent share.
- Eni Secures Two Deals for Oman Blocks (Jan 14)
- Eni to Operate Alaska Oil Field (Jan 03)
- Eni Spuds Well in Central North Sea (Dec 31)
Company: Murphy Oil Corporation more info
- Murphy Oil and Petrobras to Form Gulf of Mexico JV (Oct 11)
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)
- Murphy Oil CEO: Now is the Time for Deepwater to Come Back (May 02)
Company: Marubeni Corp more info
- Peru Resumes LNG Exports With Shipment To South Korea (Feb 27)
- JOGMEC, Inpex, Marubeni Ink Exploration Deal with Rosneft (Dec 15)
- Indonesia's Small-Scale LNG Plans Face Several Challenges (Apr 15)
Company: Helix Energy Solutions more info
- Helix Inks Petrobras Deal Offshore Brazil (Feb 11)
- Jurong Shipyard Bags $346M Deal to Build Well Intervention Rig for Helix (Sep 12)
- Helix to Build Additional Newbuild Semisub (Jul 31)
Company: StatoilHydro more info
- Samsung Heavy Industries Lands Statoil FSU Construction Contract (Sep 14)
- First Movers in Eco-Drilling: Going 'Dope'-less (Apr 25)
- StatoilHydro Delays Hammerfest LNG Start Up (Nov 23)