Gazprom May Cooperate with Shell on Yamal LNG Project
MOSCOW (Dow Jones Newswires), Jun. 4, 2009
Russian gas giant OAO Gazprom is considering inviting Royal Dutch Shell PLC (RDSA) to participate in liquified natural gas projects on the Arctic Yamal Peninsula, Gazprom's Chief Executive Alexei Miller said Thursday.
"I'm certain that the experience from joint work at Sakhalin-2 can lay the foundation of future cooperation in LNG, including on Yamal," Miller said following a meeting with Shell's CEO Jeroen van der Veer during the St. Petersburg Economic Forum.
In 2007, Shell ceded its controlling stake in the Sakhalin-2 project off Russia's Pacific coast to state-controlled Gazprom. The project started production of LNG in March.
Gazprom is considering production of LNG in the arctic Yamal region, but hopes to attract partners to share the financial and technical challenges.
International oil majors such as ConocoPhillips (COP), Exxon Mobil Corp. (XOM) and Total SA (TOT) have also expressed interest in the project.
Copyright (c) 2009 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
- Offshore Australia Project Marks Step-Change (Jan 16)
- Venezuela Will Remap its Caribbean Oil, Gas Prospects (Jan 09)
- Offshore Guyana Wildcat Spuds (Jan 07)
Company: OAO Gazprom more info
- US House Opposes Russian Gas Pipeline (Dec 11)
- Gazprom's Second Quarter Profit Soars On Rising Energy Prices, Sales (Aug 29)
- Russian Gas Exports Hit a New Summertime Record (Jul 17)
Company: Shell more info
- GOM Subsea Contract Goes to McDermott (Nov 27)
- Shell Exec Says Canada Pipeline Debacle Won't Affect LNG Decision (Sep 24)
- Silvertip Subsea Contract Goes to McDermott (Aug 07)
Company: Total S.A. more info
- Saudi Aramco and Total JV to Hire SMBC to Advise on Funding (Jan 17)
- Deepwater Nigeria Field Starts Production (Jan 02)
- Total Spuds Well Offshore South Africa (Dec 27)
Company: ConocoPhillips more info
- ConocoPhillips Contracts Rowan Jackup (Jan 10)
- ConocoPhillips Plans for $6.1B Capital Spend in 2019 (Dec 10)
- ConocoPhillips Departs Barnett (Nov 01)