Gazprom May Cooperate with Shell on Yamal LNG Project
MOSCOW (Dow Jones Newswires), Jun. 4, 2009
Russian gas giant OAO Gazprom is considering inviting Royal Dutch Shell PLC (RDSA) to participate in liquified natural gas projects on the Arctic Yamal Peninsula, Gazprom's Chief Executive Alexei Miller said Thursday.
"I'm certain that the experience from joint work at Sakhalin-2 can lay the foundation of future cooperation in LNG, including on Yamal," Miller said following a meeting with Shell's CEO Jeroen van der Veer during the St. Petersburg Economic Forum.
In 2007, Shell ceded its controlling stake in the Sakhalin-2 project off Russia's Pacific coast to state-controlled Gazprom. The project started production of LNG in March.
Gazprom is considering production of LNG in the arctic Yamal region, but hopes to attract partners to share the financial and technical challenges.
International oil majors such as ConocoPhillips (COP), Exxon Mobil Corp. (XOM) and Total SA (TOT) have also expressed interest in the project.
Copyright (c) 2009 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
- Ex-Schlumberger Chief to Acquire Biggest Shale Pipe Servicer (Oct 19)
- Exxon Exploration Chief Eyes Africa for Next Elephant Oil Find (Oct 18)
- Tight Oil, Shale to Drive Majors' Output to New Highs (Oct 16)
Company: OAO Gazprom more info
- Gazprom's Second Quarter Profit Soars On Rising Energy Prices, Sales (Aug 29)
- Russian Gas Exports Hit a New Summertime Record (Jul 17)
- Trump: US to Compete With Russia for Europe Gas Market (Jul 16)
Company: Shell more info
- Shell Exec Says Canada Pipeline Debacle Won't Affect LNG Decision (Sep 24)
- Silvertip Subsea Contract Goes to McDermott (Aug 07)
- Canada Crude Differential Seen Staying High As Refiners Take Downtime (Aug 03)
Company: Total S.A. more info
- Oil CEOs Jostle for Global Natgas Crown Under Putin's Gaze (Oct 04)
- Uganda Expects to Miss Target for First Oil (Sep 24)
- Total Joins Tullow-operated Block Offshore Guyana (Sep 13)
Company: ConocoPhillips more info
- ConocoPhillips Strikes First Oil at New Alaska Site (Oct 10)
- ConocoPhillips to Divest Timor Sea Acreage (Oct 01)
- KBR, ConocoPhillips to Develop Off-the-Shelf LNG Tech (Sep 18)