StatoilHydro Hits Gas at Harepus, Corvus Prospects Offshore Norway
Gas has been discovered by StatoilHydro in the Harepus prospect in the Norwegian Sea and the Corvus prospect in the Oseberg area of the North Sea.
Located in Middle Jurassic rocks, the Harepus discovery lies seven kilometers south of the Mikkel field. No formation testing has been done, but extensive data and cores have been collected.
"Preliminary calculations indicate 0.5 to one billion standard cubic meters of recoverable gas," said Sivert Jorgenvag, head of infrastructure-led exploration on the Halten Bank.
"A tie-back to Asgard together with the Gamma discovery made in the same license in 2008 will be considered."
The discovery well was drilled in 247 meters of water to a total depth of 3,162 meters beneath the sea surface and terminated in Early Jurassic rocks.
It will now be permanently plugged before Ocean Vanguard leaves the location to drill an exploration well for StatoilHydro on production license 159D in the Norwegian Sea.
The Corvus exploration well was drilled about 7.5 kilometers north-west of Oseberg C, and proved small quantities of gas in the Upper Jurassic Draupne formation.
"Reservoir thickness remains unclarified because the well, for technical reasons, could not be drilled deeper," explained Tom Dreyer, head of infrastructure-led exploration in the North Sea.
"This means that a possible appraisal well will be needed before the size of the discovery can be evaluated."
The well was drilled from Transocean Winner in 113 meters of water to a vertical depth of 3,991 meters and will now be permanently plugged and abandoned.
After this work is completed, the rig is due to drill an appraisal well on the Peon gas discovery in production license 318.
Facts about the Harepus prospect
- Licensees for production license 312: StatoilHydro (operator) 59%, ExxonMobil Exploration & Production Norway AS 24%, and Eni Norge AS 17%
- Exploration well designated 6407/6-7S
- Well terminated in Early Jurassic sandstones
- Production license allocated under awards in predefined areas (APA) for 2003
Facts about the Corvus prospect
- Licensees for production license 309: StatoilHydro (operator), 63.8%, Petoro AS 33.6%, and ConocoPhillips Skandinavia AS 2.6%
- Exploration well designated 30/5-3 A
- The discovery is untested, but extensive data and cores have been collected
- The well was intended to prove petroleum in Cretaceous rocks on the north-west flank of the Oseberg block
- Nothing was found in the Cretaceous, but small quantities of gas were proven in Draupner formation sands from the Upper Jurassic
Operates 16 Offshore Rigs
- Exxon, Petrobras Form Alliance To Develop Oil, Gas Projects (Dec 14)
- ExxonMobil to Lead Construction, Ops of Mozambique LNG Facilities (Dec 13)
- ExxonMobil Jumping in to Mexico Fuel Market With First US Cargo (Dec 06)
Company: ConocoPhillips more info
Operates 12 Offshore Rigs
- ConocoPhillips Vows Financial Discipline As Aims To Boost Output (Nov 08)
- ConocoPhillips' Profit Beats Estimates, But Budget Cut 10% (Oct 26)
- Most US Gulf Oil Output Offline Ahead of Tropical Storm Nate (Oct 06)
Company: ENI more info
Operates 11 Offshore Rigs
- Italy Prosecutors Probe Eni For Tax Evasion At Refineries (Nov 22)
- Officials: BP, Eni Interested In Developing Iraq's Majnoon Oilfield (Nov 20)
- Eni's Giant Gas Field Prompts Egypt to End Imports in 2018 (Nov 15)
Company: Transocean Ltd. more info
Manages 46 Offshore Rigs
- Oil's Biggest Rigs Headed to Junkyard as Daily Losses Mount (Oct 18)
- Transocean To Buy Norwegian Rig Firm Songa Offshore For $1.1B (Aug 15)
- Borr Drilling Signs Deal With Transocean to Buy 15 Rigs (Mar 20)
Company: Diamond Offshore more info
Manages 19 Offshore Rigs
- New Contracts Drive Diamond Offshore's Profit Beat; Shares Rise (Oct 30)
- Diamond Offshore's Profit Beats Estimates On Lower Costs (May 01)
- Offshore Drillers Still Seeking Recovery Enjoyed by Shale (Feb 07)
Company: Petoro more info
- Aker Solutions Secures Johan Sverdrup Phase 2 FEED Contract (Mar 21)
- NPD Grants Consent for the Expansion of Nyhamna Gas Plant (Feb 10)
- Statoil Granted North Sea Drilling Permit by NPD (Dec 21)
Company: StatoilHydro more info
Operates 34 Offshore Rigs
- Samsung Heavy Industries Lands Statoil FSU Construction Contract (Sep 14)
- First Movers in Eco-Drilling: Going 'Dope'-less (Apr 25)
- StatoilHydro Delays Hammerfest LNG Start Up (Nov 23)