AWE Plans Drilling Program Offshore Taranaki for October
Sydney-based explorer Australian Worldwide Exploration (AWE) is doing advanced planning for a four to five well drilling campaign in the offshore Taranaki Basin which is due to start in October this year.
AWE will use the semisubmersible drilling rig, Kan Tan-IV for the campaign with the first of these wells being drilled at Hoki-1, which is a North Cape play in PEP 38401 west of New Plymouth.
The Kan Tan-IV rig, operated by international drilling company Maersk, will be contracted by AWE on behalf of a consortium in New Zealand.
AWE said in its first quarter report that the Hoki permit which was granted two years ago in April 2007 is operated by AWE which holds a 50% interest. The other partners are OMV (31.25%) and Todd Energy (18.75%).
The company reported it has completed 6,000 kilometers of a multi-permit 2D seismic in its Taranaki permits during the quarter.
"This intensive seismic acquisition program is aimed at accelerating further targets for exploration drilling in the prospective offshore Taranaki Basin," AWE said.
The 2D seismic was acquired across five permits from November 2008 to February 2009.
In a presentation to the Macquarie Australian Conference, the company describes the Taranaki Basin as AWE's heartland.
The presentations said Hoki also had follow-up prospects at Tikati and Vespa in nearby permits.
Offshore site surveys have been completed at Hoki and Tuatara, which is a Moki play in PEP 38524 off D'Urville Island north of Nelson, and also at the potential drilling targets adjacent to the Tui oil field.
The Tui area near field exploration well targets are likely to be selected from the Tui NE, Tui SW or Kahu prospects, which AWE last year said were potential reservoir areas close to the existing Tui oil pool.
One of the other targets in offshore Taranaki which AWE mentions in the presentation is the Bahamas biogenic gas play.
Operates 5 Offshore Rigs
Manages 23 Offshore Rigs
- Maersk to Limit Investment in Energy Businesses until Separation (Dec 13)
- Maersk Oil Begins Culzean Drilling Campaign (Sep 29)
- Maersk Highlander Ready for Action (Aug 19)
Company: OMV more info
- Qatargas Signs Deal To Deliver LNG To Austria's OMV (Dec 20)
- CEO: OMV To Become Bigger, Grow Marketing Outside Of Europe (Dec 20)
- Sharp Fall In Applications For Norway's Arctic Oil Permits (Dec 05)
Company: Australian Worldwide Exploration (AWE) more info
- Waitsia Gas Project Exceeds Pre-Production Expectations (Dec 22)
- Waitsia JV Approves 2017 Development Activities Budget (Dec 09)
- AWE Commences Gas Sales from Stage 1 of Waitsia Gas Project in Perth Basin (Aug 29)
Company: Todd Energy more info
- Cue Updates on Drilling at Te Kiri North-1 Well in NZ's Taranaki Basin (Jan 20)
- Te Kiri North-1 Well Onshore NZ Spuds (Dec 17)
- Ensco 107 Prepares to Demobilize from Maari Field Offshore New Zealand (Jul 07)
Company: New Zealand Crown Minerals more info
- Crown Minerals Closes PIT Petroleum Applications (Jul 09)
- Hydraulic Workover Unit Mobilizes on Maui A (Apr 20)
- TAG Oil Targets Higher Output at Cheal (Apr 09)