Petrobras Scores Sixth Find in Espirito Santo Basin over Past Month
RIO DE JANEIRO (Dow Jones Newswires), May 11, 2009
Brazilian state-run energy giant Petroleo Brasileiro SA (PBR) scored its sixth oil or natural gas find in the Espirito Santo Basin over the past month, with a wildcat well in the BT-ES-15 block testing positive.
Petrobras notified Brazil's National Petroleum Agency of the find May 6, but it was posted to the ANP's Web site over the weekend. The 1BRSA718ES well at the inland block tested positive for oil, according to the ANP.
The Drillfor-8 rig, which has tapped several of the finds, was listed as operating at the block, targeting a depth of 2,008 meters, ANP drilling data showed.
Last week, Petrobras said it found traces of oil in two other Espirito Santo blocks. A wildcat well drilled in the ES-T-364 block tested well after a previous well at the inland block also showed signs of oil in mid-April.
Petrobras also said last week it found traces of oil and gas for a second time at the ES-T-372 inland block. Meanwhile, a test well at the ES-T-505 block also showed positive for oil and gas in mid-April.
Oil companies operating in Brazil must inform the ANP of indications of oil, gas or hydrocarbons in any exploratory well within 48 hours. The disclosures are routine, and do not indicate commercial viability.
Copyright (c) 2009 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
Operates 34 Offshore Rigs
Manages 10 Offshore Rigs
- Exxon, Petrobras Form Alliance To Develop Oil, Gas Projects (Dec 14)
- Natural Gas In Petrobras Pipelines Up About 23% In 2017 (Dec 05)
- Petrobras CEO Says To Discuss Refining Partnership With CNPC CEO (Nov 15)
Company: ANP more info
- Brazil Regulator Allows Petrobras To Source Libra Rig Hull From Abroad (Oct 04)
- Brazil's Prized Santos Basin Receives Single Bid In Oil Auction (Sep 27)
- Brazil Pre-Salt Oil Output Surpasses All Other Fields In June (Jul 31)