MMS Honors Industry Veterans with SAFE, OLA Awards
The Department of the Interior's Minerals Management Service (MMS) today recognized several offshore operators and individuals for achievements in offshore safety, environmental protection, and pollution prevention. This year's presentation of the Safety Award for Excellence (SAFE) and Offshore Leadership Award (OLA) was held at a luncheon in Houston, Texas at the Offshore Technology Conference.
"The Offshore Leadership Award and the Safety Award for Excellence are the highest honors MMS can give," said MMS Acting Director Walter Cruickshank. "MMS is proud to recognize those who have raised the standard of excellence in offshore operations."
The SAFE recognizes four categories of outstanding safety and pollution prevention performance by offshore operators: drilling contractor, production contractor, high activity operator, and moderate activity operator. The selection criteria consist of inspection and incident data and input from MMS district and regional offices.
The OLA recognizes individuals for safety achievements, improved environmental protection or enhanced resource recovery and conservation, or who have inspired innovation and outstanding performance by others.
The 2009 SAFE Award winners are:
- Drilling Contractor– Noble Drilling Corp.
- Production Contractor– Danos & Curole Marine Contractors, Inc
- High Activity Operator– Devon Energy Production Co.
- Moderate Activity Operator– Noble energy, Inc.
The 2009 OLA winners are:
- Wayne Broussard, PSN/Grasso
- J. Guiteau, Diamond Offshore Drilling, Inc.
- George Hagerman, Virginia Tech Advanced Research Institute
- Ann Jochens, Texas A&M University
- Paul Landry, Apache Corporation
- Darryl Luoma, BP Exploration (Alaska) Inc.
- Alan Romine, InterACT PMTI
- John Seeger, InterACT PMTI
- Chris Brooks, Merit Energy Company
- William "Billy" Poe, Explosive Service International
- Harlan King
- Virgil Russell, BP America, Inc
- Al Gonsoulin, Petroleum Helicopter, Inc.