StatoilHydro Discovers Gas at Corvus, Near Oseberg
Gas has been proven in the Corvus prospect by an exploration well drilled by the Transocean Winner seven kilometers northwest of the Oseberg C platform in the Norwegian North Sea.
The find was made in production license 306, where StatoilHydro is operator.
"This is another discovery in a highly prospective area," said Tom Dreyer, head of North Sea infrastructure-led exploration. "It's in the cellar of the major Oseberg block."
The discovery well found gas in a 550-meter sandstone-dominated interval dating from the Triassic, which contains several internal pressure barriers.
"It's got an interesting potential, but further appraisal and better seismic data are needed before we can say anything more exact about its size," said Dreyer.
An appraisal well is needed to identify how much of the reservoir is producible, and the size of the gas resources concealed in the Oseberg cellar.
Plans call for the discovery to be tied-back to the fixed installations in the Oseberg area if further evaluation shows that the reservoir is commercial.
Licensees in production license 306 include StatoilHydro with 63.82%, ConocoPhillips with 2.58% and Petoro with 33.60%.
Exploration well 30/5-3 S encountered gas in Upper Triassic rocks of the Hegre group. The discovery has not been tested, but extensive data were gathered and cores taken. At a water depth of 113 meters, the discovery well was drilled to a vertical depth of 3,830 meters.
The lower part of the discovery well has been plugged and abandoned, and Transocean Winner has now started a sidetrack (30/5-3 A) from the upper part of the borehole to explore a different part of the Corvus prospect.
Operates 12 Offshore Rigs
- Exxon, BP Targeted in NYC Suit That Relies on 'Nuisance' Theory (Jan 10)
- ConocoPhillips Vows Financial Discipline As Aims To Boost Output (Nov 08)
- ConocoPhillips' Profit Beats Estimates, But Budget Cut 10% (Oct 26)
Company: Petoro more info
- Aker Solutions Secures Johan Sverdrup Phase 2 FEED Contract (Mar 21)
- NPD Grants Consent for the Expansion of Nyhamna Gas Plant (Feb 10)
- Statoil Granted North Sea Drilling Permit by NPD (Dec 21)
Company: StatoilHydro more info
Operates 33 Offshore Rigs
- Samsung Heavy Industries Lands Statoil FSU Construction Contract (Sep 14)
- First Movers in Eco-Drilling: Going 'Dope'-less (Apr 25)
- StatoilHydro Delays Hammerfest LNG Start Up (Nov 23)