Maersk O&G Hits Hydrocarbons at Gita Offshore Denmark
As operator for the companies in License 9/95 Maersk Oil & Gas AS has drilled the Gita-1X (5604/22-5) exploration well about 10 kilometers south of the Harald field in the Danish part of the North Sea. Hydrocarbons were discovered at the Gita prospect, which straddles the licenses 9/95 Maja and 9/06 Gita. The purpose of the well was to prove hydrocarbons in the Upper to Middle Jurassic reservoir rocks.
Gita-1X was drilled as a vertical well and reached its total depth at 5162 meters below mean sea level in layers of Middle Jurassic age. The well encountered Middle Jurassic sandstone layers containing hydrocarbons. A number of measurements were carried out for further evaluation of the result of the well.
The well was spudded December 16, 2008 with the jackup rig ENSCO 101 at the position 56 degrees 15'42.26" N; 4 degrees 17'14.83" E (UTM zone 31; 6,236,094.31 N; 579,753.43 E), where the water depth is 49 meters. The well is now being plugged and abandoned.
The well was drilled in cooperation between the licensees in license 9/95 and the adjoining license 9/06. The two groups participated with 50% each.
Along with Maersk Oil & Gas, partners in license 9/95 are PA Resources AB (26.8%), DONG E&P A/S (20%), Noreco (12%) and Danoil Exploration (10%). In license 9/06 the license partners are Maersk Oil & Gas A/S (31.2% interest), PA Resources AB (26.8%), Nordsofonden (20%), Noreco (12%) and Danoil Exploration (10%)
The jackup ENSCO 101 will subsequently leave the Danish sector.
- European Oil Majors Seek To Harness US Offshore Wind (Aug 01)
- Billionaire Ratcliffe Hunts Oil to Repeat Chemicals Empire Build (May 24)
- NPD Grants Consent for the Expansion of Nyhamna Gas Plant (Feb 10)
Company: ENSCO International Incorporated more info
Manages 64 Offshore Rigs
- Ensco Acquires Atwood Oceanics, Lays Off Staff (Oct 10)
- Lamprell to Compensate Ensco for Delay in Delivery of ENSCO 140 (Aug 29)
- Lamprell Delays Delivery of Jackup to Mid-August Due to Technical Issue (Jul 27)
Company: Maersk Oil & Gas more info
- Maersk Oil CEO To Step Down After Total Takeover (Sep 27)
- Maersk Stands to Get Another $7.5 Billion for Energy Divestments (Aug 21)
- Fars News Agency: Maersk Sees Up To 140,000 Bpd Potential For Iran Field (Aug 01)
Company: PA Resources more info
- PA Resources Completes Divestment of North Sea Assets (Mar 24)
- PA Resources Welcomes New CEO (May 15)
- Noble Finds Oil at Carla South (May 02)
Company: Norwegian Energy Company (NORECO) more info
- Det Norske to Acquire Noreco's Norwegian Portfolio (Mar 02)
- Noreco Oil UK Receives Huntington License Default Notice (Nov 02)
- Noreco CEO Steps Down (Oct 13)
Company: Nordsøfonden more info
- Maersk O&G Hits Hydrocarbons at Gita Offshore Denmark (Apr 15)
- Hydro Garners Four Danish-Sector Licenses (Mar 22)