Petrobras Strikes Oil in Ultra-Deepwater Santos Basin
Petrobras announced that the consortium formed by Petrobras (45% - Operator), BG Group (30%), and Repsol (25%), to explore block BM-S-9, in ultra deep Santos Basin waters, has notified the National Petroleum Agengy (ANP) that it has made a discovery of light oil in the pre-salt reservoirs, after the drilling of a new well in the area.
The BM-S-9 is composed of two evaluation areas: the area of well 1-BRSA-491-SPS (1-SPS-50), known as Carioca, and the area of well 1-BRSA-594-SPS (1-SPS-55), called Guara.
The new well, 4-BRSA-709 (4-SPS-60), denominated as Iguacu, is located in the evaluation area of 1-SPS-50 (Carioca), some 340 km off the coast of the State of Sao Paulo (see the figure below), at 2,140 meters from the water line.
The discovery was proved by means of an oil sampling made via a cable test in reservoirs located at a depth of 4900 m.
The Consortium will give continuity to the activities and investments that are required to evaluate the fields discovered in this area pursuant to the Evaluation Plan approved by the ANP. A new well is foreseen to start being drilled in this area in the upcoming days.
Operates 34 Offshore Rigs
Manages 10 Offshore Rigs
- Exxon, Petrobras Form Alliance To Develop Oil, Gas Projects (Dec 14)
- Natural Gas In Petrobras Pipelines Up About 23% In 2017 (Dec 05)
- Petrobras CEO Says To Discuss Refining Partnership With CNPC CEO (Nov 15)
Company: BG Group more info
- Shell Mulls LNG-Hub Network as Use by Ships and Trucks Expands (Jul 11)
- Tanzania Laws Would Allow Govt to Tear Up Mining, Energy Deals (Jun 29)
- Despite Cuts, Big Oil to Expand Production into the 2020s (Sep 05)
Company: Repsol more info
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)
- Repsol Says Drilling Suspended On Vietnam Oil Block Disputed By China (Aug 02)
- China Urges Halt To Oil Drilling In Disputed South China Sea (Jul 25)
Company: ANP more info
- Brazil Regulator Allows Petrobras To Source Libra Rig Hull From Abroad (Oct 04)
- Brazil's Prized Santos Basin Receives Single Bid In Oil Auction (Sep 27)
- Brazil Pre-Salt Oil Output Surpasses All Other Fields In June (Jul 31)