StatoilHydro Hits Hydrocarbons Offshore Newfoundland
StatoilHydro Canada has made a discovery in the Flemish Pass Basin, offshore Newfoundland.
Hydrocarbons were encountered while drilling the deepwater Mizzen prospect (EL 1049), located approximately 500 kilometers east-northeast of St John's, Newfoundland. The well was drilled by the Henry Goodrich semisubmersible drilling rig.
Further analysis of the well results will be undertaken to determine the potential, and an application for a Significant Discovery License (SDL) will be filed over the coming months.
"The drilling operation, conducted at a water depth of 1,100 meters and during the heart of the North Atlantic winter storm season, was very challenging," said Erik Abrahamsen, StatoilHydro Canada's vice president of East Coast Operations.
"We are very pleased with the way that the rig, its crew and the local supply community successfully met the challenges."
StatoilHydro is the operator of Mizzen with a 65% working interest. Husky Energy Inc. participated in the drilling of the well for a 35% interest.
StatoilHydro currently owns interests in several exploration, development and production licenses offshore Newfoundland. The group is also a partner in the Hibernia and Terra Nova fields as well as a partner in developing the Hebron field.
Manages 53 Offshore Rigs
- Offshore Oil Recovery Beginning in World's Harshest Environments (Feb 21)
- Oil's Biggest Rigs Headed to Junkyard as Daily Losses Mount (Oct 18)
- Transocean To Buy Norwegian Rig Firm Songa Offshore For $1.1B (Aug 15)
Company: Husky Energy more info
- Husky to Restart SeaRose Operations after Iceberg Probe (Jan 26)
- As Crude Rallies, Husky May Gain as Top Oil-Sands Stock Pick (Jan 15)
- Husky Energy Posts Smaller 2Q Loss On Higher Oil Prices (Jul 21)
Company: StatoilHydro more info
Operates 33 Offshore Rigs
- Samsung Heavy Industries Lands Statoil FSU Construction Contract (Sep 14)
- First Movers in Eco-Drilling: Going 'Dope'-less (Apr 25)
- StatoilHydro Delays Hammerfest LNG Start Up (Nov 23)