PSA Norway Audits Wintershall's Plans for Exploration Drilling in PL 378
On March 2, 2009, the Petroleum Safety Authority Norway (PSA) conducted an audit of how Wintershall Norge ASA (Wintershall) is planning for exploration drilling in production license 378 and for bringing in a semisubmersible rig. We did not identify any nonconformities in relation to regulatory requirements.
The audit has helped verify the basis for our consideration of the application for consent to conduct exploration drilling of well 35/12-2 using the Songa Delta semisubmersible drilling rig.
Background for the Audit
This operator is new to the Norwegian shelf and is therefore being followed up as regards its recently established management system, including obligations related to development, competence and capacity for implementing these types of operations.
Wintershall has carried out a merger process with Revus Energy Norge ASA (Revus), which has not previously conducted exploration drilling on the Norwegian shelf. Nor does Wintershall have experience as operator of exploration drilling on the Norwegian shelf.
Purpose of the Audit
The purpose of the audit was to examine Wintershall's compliance with obligations and requirements linked to the management of health, safety and environment (HSE) in connection with planning and implementing the activity.
The audit comprised consideration and review of the application for consent, presentations of the organisation's robustness, well design, emergency preparedness analysis and a review of the company's management system. Another key topic was the management's assessment of its own organisation's competence and capacity to handle the duties of an operator.
Result of the Audit
It emerged during the audit that the company has a small organization and will utilize consultants to carry out its first drilling activity.
We did not identify nonconformities in relation to regulatory requirements, but we did find four items with potential for improvement regarding
- system for recording, studying and investigating hazard and accident situations,
- system for safeguarding competence,
- the drilling program's description of how mud weight is handled in relation to the riser margin in the pore pressure prognosis,
- system for safeguarding maintenance of third party equipment on the facility.
Manages 20 Offshore Rigs
- Odfjell Secures New Well Services Contracts (Sep 10)
- Odfjell Offshore Raising up to $500M to Develop Fleet (Mar 12)
- Odfjell Lands Record Breaking Deal with BP (Jan 11)
Company: Wintershall more info
Operates 4 Offshore Rigs
- Sharp Fall In Applications For Norway's Arctic Oil Permits (Dec 05)
- Libya's NOC, Wintershall Strike Interim Deal To Resume Output (Jun 13)
- BASF Sees Role of Oil and Gas Unit Declining Further (May 12)
Company: Petroleum Safety Authority Norway more info
- Watchdog: Cost Cuts Appear To Harm Norway Oil Industry Safety (Feb 20)
- Norway To Investigate Oil Industry Safety After Accidents Rise (Nov 29)
- PSA Asks Statoil Whether Recent Incidents Related To Cost Cutting (Oct 26)