AWE Acquires Access to Vietnamese Oil Exploration Assets
AWE has entered an agreement to earn a 23.33% interest in Block 06/94 in the Nam Con Son Basin in offshore Vietnam.
Under the terms of the agreement, AWE will earn a 23.33% interest from Serica Energy Corporation, a wholly owned subsidiary of the AIM and Canadian listed company Serica Energy plc. The agreement is subject to the waiver of a pre-emptive right held by PetroVietnam, the Vietnamese State oil and gas company, and to the approval of the government of Vietnam.
The 06/94 block is located in the prospective Nam Con Son Basin, approximately 400 kilometers from the coastline and adjacent to the BP gas production facilities at Lan Tay and Lan Do, as well as the recent oil discovery by Premier Oil.
Under the farm-in agreement, AWE will fund the upcoming drilling activity in the block on behalf of Serica. The block is largely covered by extensive 3D seismic data, used to define the Tuong Vi prospect, which is expected to be drilled in June 2009. The well will target the oil potential of the Dua Formation sandstones and the Nam Con Son Carbonate.
The Ocean General drilling rig is expected to arrive on location in Block 06/94 for the Tuong Vi exploration well in June 2009. The second and third exploration wells on the block are not expected to be drilled until 2010.
On completion of the agreement, the participants in 06/94 will be:
- AWE 23.33%
- PearlOil (Taconite) Limited (Operator) 33.34%
- Lundin New Venture B.V. 33.33%
- Serica Energy Corporation 10.00%
Manages 19 Offshore Rigs
- New Contracts Drive Diamond Offshore's Profit Beat; Shares Rise (Oct 30)
- Diamond Offshore's Profit Beats Estimates On Lower Costs (May 01)
- Offshore Drillers Still Seeking Recovery Enjoyed by Shale (Feb 07)
Company: Australian Worldwide Exploration (AWE) more info
- Waitsia Gas Project Exceeds Pre-Production Expectations (Dec 22)
- Waitsia JV Approves 2017 Development Activities Budget (Dec 09)
- AWE Commences Gas Sales from Stage 1 of Waitsia Gas Project in Perth Basin (Aug 29)
Company: Serica Energy more info
- Erskine Field Production Start-Up Delayed (Aug 23)
- Serica Completes Acquisition of 18% Stake in North Sea Erskine Field (Jun 05)
- Sidi Moussa Well Offshore Morocco Finds Oil (Oct 20)