BP Unlocks 17th Oil Discovery in Ultra-Deepwater Angola's Block 31
Sonangol and BP announced the Leda oil discovery on Block 31 offshore Angola. The 17th successful discovery on Block 31, Leda is situated in the central northern portion of the block, approximately 415 kilometers northwest of Luanda and 12 kilometers southwest of the Marte field.
Drilled to a total depth of 5,907 meters in waters measuring 2,070 meters, the Leda discovery is the fifth discovery on Block 31 that is below the salt layer. The discovery well tested at a daily rate of 5,040 bopd through a 36/64-inch choke.
With waters ranging from 4,921 to 8,202 feet (1,500 to 2,500 meters) deep, Angola’s Block 31 spans 1.3 million acres (5,349 square kilometers). Acquired in 1999, BP serves as operator of Block 31 with 26.7% interest. Project partners include ExxonMobil with 25%, Sonangol with 20%, StatoilHydro with 13.33%, Marathon with 10% and TEPA with 5%. Sonangol also serves as concessionaire of the block.
The first of four development phases on Block 31, the PSVM project is a hub field development that will produce from the Plutao, Saturno, Venus and Marte oil fields. Authorized by Sonangol in July 2008, the field development plan for PSVM encompasses 48 subsea wells (including production and water- and gas-injection wells) connected to 15 manifolds, and 106 miles (170 kilometers) of flowlines and 59 miles (95 kilometers) of control umbilicals linking the production to a converted FPSO.
Project partners have standardized the Block 31 development concept in an effort to bring all of the fields into production more quickly. Currently in the planning stage, the next project will incorporate the fields in the southeast area of Block 31, which include Palas, Ceres, Juno, Astraea and Hebe. Another group of fields are clustered in the northwest section of the block. These fields include Urano, Titania, Terra, Portia, Miranda and Cordelia. The 16th discovery, Dione is located in the southern section of Block 31, and Leda is the 17th discovery on the block.
Operates 33 Offshore Rigs
- BP Is Said to Weigh Bid for $1.8B Italian Solar Company (Jan 22)
- Exxon, BP Targeted in NYC Suit That Relies on 'Nuisance' Theory (Jan 10)
- Owners of Louisiana-Illinois Pipeline Eye Reversal Next Steps (Dec 21)
Company: Transocean Ltd. more info
Manages 53 Offshore Rigs
- Oil's Biggest Rigs Headed to Junkyard as Daily Losses Mount (Oct 18)
- Transocean To Buy Norwegian Rig Firm Songa Offshore For $1.1B (Aug 15)
- Borr Drilling Signs Deal With Transocean to Buy 15 Rigs (Mar 20)
Company: Sonangol more info
- Buyers Eye Sinopec's Argentina Oil Assets in Sale Worth Up to $1B - Sources (Oct 09)
- US Oil Firm Cobalt Files For Arbitration Against Angola For $2B (May 12)
- US Firm Cobalt Threatens Arbitration Over Angolan Oil Assets (Apr 03)