Santos' Recently Spudded Chilla Well Encounters Oil
On Feb, 18, Santos Ltd. commenced drilling the Chilla 3A well in the Naccowlah Block, located in ATP 259P in Australia. The well encountered oil shows in the objective Murta Formation.
Wireline logging confirmed the presence of hydrocarbons and permeability. Chilla 3A was cased and suspended as a potential oil producer.
This completed the current Naccowlah Block drilling program.
ATP 259P - Queensland Cooper Basin
The Naccowlah Block and its associated production licenses (PL), which are located in the Cooper Basin of south-west Queensland, cover an area of 3111 km2 (768,740 acres) and contain 22 commercial oil fields. Production in the Block has mainly been from the Late Cretaceous Murta Formation, the Jurassic Birkhead Formation and Hutton Sandstone.
There is considerable undeveloped potential in the Block, both for near field exploration and additional development on existing fields. In March 2007 development, appraisal and near field exploration drilling began in the Naccowlah Block. Since that time 37 wells have been drilled with significant results occurring at Jackson South, Gunna and Naccowlah West.
Participating interests in the Chilla 3A well are:
- Santos Limited 55.5% Operator
- Beach Petroleum Limited 38.5%
- Australian Gas Fields Limited 2%
- Inland Oil (Production) Pty Ltd 2%
- Drillsearch Energy Limited 2%
- Santos Seen Luring More Bids After Rejecting $7.2 Billion Offer (Nov 16)
- Australia's Santos Steps Up Effort To Avert LNG Export Curb (Aug 30)
- Australia Plans LNG Export Limits to Help Ease Local Price Pain (Apr 27)
Company: Beach Petroleum more info
- Beach Commences Production from Middleton Gas Project (Jan 09)
- Beach Says Hello to Mr. Rod Rayner (Nov 11)
- Beach Energy Gains Majority Control of Adelaide Energy (Nov 10)
Company: Drillsearch Energy more info
- Beach Energy Makes $31M in Annual Savings Through Merger with Drillsearch (Apr 27)
- Australia's Beach Energy Completes Merger with Drillsearch Energy (Mar 01)
- Australia's Federal Court Approves Beach Energy-Drillsearch Energy Merger (Feb 18)