Kosmos Energy Seeks Buyers for Ghana Oil Assets
LONDON (Dow Jones Newswires), Feb. 10, 2009
Kosmos Energy LLC is seeking buyers for its stakes in a huge West African oil field, two people familiar with the matter said, in the latest sign that tight credit markets and low oil prices are hurting smaller firms.
The possible divestment -- which has attracted the interest of large oil players -- also highlights the increasing consolidation in the sector. It could herald the majors' entry into Ghana, a West African nation set to become an oil producer next year.
Dallas-based, privately held Kosmos has appointed advisers to handle the sale of its stakes in two blocks that span the Jubilee oil field in Ghana, and they could fetch as much as $3 billion, one of the persons said.
Chevron Corp., ExxonMobil Corp., Italy's Eni SpA, India's Oil & Natural Gas Corp., and Cnooc Ltd. have expressed interest in the Ghana assets, the person added.
It comes at a time of tight credit markets which are making it harder for smaller oil producers to cover the cost of bringing new projects online, and prompting some to seek buyers for individual assets or the company as a whole.
Oil prices are down $100 a barrel from their peak in July last year, and aren't forecast to rebound any time soon, potentially forcing operators to delay production if they want to maximize returns.
"Our sense is that Kosmos doesn't really want to sell, but may feel it has no option given where oil prices are right now. It wants to know the valuation that the market is putting on the Jubilee asset," said an official at one of the companies considering a bid.
The Jubilee field is one of West Africa's biggest oil strikes in years, likely containing recoverable reserves of at least 1.2 billion barrels of oil equivalent, with first output scheduled for the second half of 2010.
Kosmos, which is backed by private-equity firms Warburg Pincus and Blackstone Group, operates the West Cape Three Points block with a 30.875% stake and has an 18% stake in the adjacent Deepwater Tano block. The Jubilee field straddles both blocks in the Gulf of Guinea.
The person said partners in the blocks, including Tullow Oil PLC and Anadarko Petroleum Corp., have the right to pre-empt any stake sale agreed by Kosmos.
Anadarko has already flagged its willingness to pre-empt a sale, the person added, although it will likely seek to bring in a new partner to the Jubilee field in exchange for them carrying much of its development costs.
A spokesman for Kosmos didn't return requests for comment.
Spokespeople for Eni, Chevron, ONGC, ExxonMobil and Anadarko declined to comment. A spokesman for Cnooc wasn't aware of any talks.
Copyright (c) 2009 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
- ExxonMobil Extends Rowan Drillship Contract (Feb 14)
- $10B-plus Texas LNG Project Gets Go-ahead (Feb 05)
- Onshore-Offshore Vietnam Contract Goes to Saipem (Jan 30)
Company: Anadarko Petroleum more info
- Anadarko Names Former EVP, CFO as New President (Nov 16)
- Anadarko to Sell Delaware and DJ Midstream Assets (Nov 08)
- US Energy Operations Begin Recovering After Tropical Storm Gordon (Sep 05)
Company: Chevron Corporation more info
- India Becomes Top Buyer of Venezuelan Oil (Feb 18)
- Chevron Signs New LNG Deal with South Korean Refiner (Feb 14)
- Chevron CEO Says Lower Your Costs or Die (Feb 13)
Company: ONGC more info
- Arabian Sea Jackup Contract Goes to Shelf (Jan 23)
- Subsea Contract Features Made-in-India Element (Oct 03)
- India Tells State Oil Firm ONGC to List Overseas Unit (Aug 21)
Company: ENI more info
- Eni Bags Two Exploration Blocks Onshore Egypt (Feb 15)
- Eni Starts New Production Well Offshore Angola (Jan 24)
- Eni Secures Two Deals for Oman Blocks (Jan 14)
Company: Tullow Oil more info
- Uganda Expects to Miss Target for First Oil (Sep 24)
- Offshore Namibia Dud Dims Outlook for New Play (Sep 24)
- Total Joins Tullow-operated Block Offshore Guyana (Sep 13)
Company: CNOOC more info
- CNOOC Leading the Way for China's NOCs (Jan 25)
- China's Surging Gasoline Exports Hurting Regional Refiners (Jan 15)
- Shell and CNOOC Eye Closer Petchems Collaboration (Oct 24)
Company: Kosmos Energy more info
- Kosmos Energy to Relocate to Delaware (Dec 21)
- Kosmos Energy Expands into Gulf of Mexico with $1.23 bln DGE Buy (Aug 06)
- Forget Tech, Big Oil is Doling Out America's Fattest Paychecks (Jul 05)