Det Norske Commences Drilling Ops at North Sea's Freke for ExxonMobil
Det norske spudded the North Sea Freke prospect in PL 029B on February 6, 2009. Det norske is drilling well 15/6-10 on behalf of ExxonMobil.
ExxonMobil is the license operator with an ownership interest of 50%. StatoilHydro holds 50%, while Det norske will take a 20% interest from ExxonMobil when drilling operations are completed.
The Slepner B platform on the Sleipner Field and Petrojarl 1 on the Glitne Field are the nearest installations to the Freke prospect. These installations are located 30 and 11 kilometers from Freke, respectively. The distance from shore is about 200 kilometers and the water depth at Freke is 112 meters.
Freke is located in the South Viking Graben and holds a volume potential of 90 million BOE (P 50). The structure has four-way closure delimited by a north-south trending horst. The primary reservoir is expected to be middle Jurassic Hugin Formation, with the underlying Sleipner Formation, constituting a secondary target. Expected hydrocarbons are light oil, possibly with a gas cap.
The exploration well is planned as a vertical well with a total depth of 3695 meter with no drillstem test.
Det norske will utilize the third generation Aker H-3 semisubmersible drilling rig Bredford Dolphin for the operation. Rig owner is Fred Olsen ASA. It is operated by Dolphin.
Operates 15 Offshore Rigs
- ExxonMobil Reports Papua New Guinea Discovery (Jan 16)
- Exxon, BP Targeted in NYC Suit That Relies on 'Nuisance' Theory (Jan 10)
- ExxonMobil Reports More Offshore Guyana Success (Jan 05)
Company: Det norske oljeselskap ASA more info
- Det Norske Completes Merger with BP Norge, Creates Aker BP (Sep 30)
- Lundin Granted Drilling Permit Offshore Norway (Sep 20)
- Det Norske Increases Production Guidance for 2016 (Sep 14)
Company: Dolphin Drilling more info
Manages 7 Offshore Rigs
- Anadarko Terminates Drilling Contract for Belford Dolphin Drillship (Mar 16)
- Cairn Postpones Spanish Point Drill Due to Rig Delays (Jul 09)
- Newbuild Bolette Dolphin Drillship Unveils in South Korea (Jun 20)
Company: StatoilHydro more info
Operates 33 Offshore Rigs
- Samsung Heavy Industries Lands Statoil FSU Construction Contract (Sep 14)
- First Movers in Eco-Drilling: Going 'Dope'-less (Apr 25)
- StatoilHydro Delays Hammerfest LNG Start Up (Nov 23)