Nautronix Provides Solution to Position Bundle at BP's Machar Field
Nautronix has completed a project with Subsea 7, one of the world's leading subsea engineering and construction companies, for a NASNet® solution to support positioning operations during a pipeline bundle tow out.
The project on BP's Machar field follows on from the successful use of NASNet® by Subsea 7 on a similar bundle tow out operation on TOTAL's Jura field in 2008. BP's Machar field is located in the North Sea in UK Continental Shelf (UKCS) Block 23/26a.
The high quality positioning and monitoring of the pipeline bundle during tow out is a key factor in achieving the offshore delivery schedule and NASNet® is a vital component in meeting the demanding schedule.
Sales Director John MacLeod said, "Using NASNet® technology in reverse was developed for Subsea 7 for TOTAL's Jura field and at that time our aim was to give them a solution along with bespoke NASNet® bundle tow software module to meet future project requirements. We are delighted NASNet® proved itself on Jura and Subsea 7 has again used it on this project."
Nautronix NASNet® system usually allows subsea positioning by deploying stations on the seabed in a network and using these to give position reference signals to position equipment within the water column. The company reversed this principle for the bundle tow out operation and instead track the position of the beacons on the bundle using the position of the vessel and numerous constraints, as a result there is one reference point providing full positioning rather than a network.
Managing Director Mark Patterson said, "We have always anticipated that NASNet® would offer a variety of applications to the industry. We have invested over £12 million into the research and development of NASNet over the last 7 years and the success of solutions like the bundle prove the value in our continued commitment and investment into the system. Once again we are delighted by the proactive approach taken by Subsea 7 to use game changing technology in their projects."
Operates 32 Offshore Rigs
- BP: 2017 'Massive' Year for Global Upstream Projects (Dec 07)
- BP Seeks Stake In Cairn Energy Senegal Assets (Nov 20)
- Officials: BP, Eni Interested In Developing Iraq's Majnoon Oilfield (Nov 20)
Company: Total S.A. more info
- Total Starts Up Antwerp Refinery And Petrochem Complex After Upgrade (Nov 30)
- Hoegh LNG: Pakistan LNG Import Project Consortium Folds (Nov 16)
- France's Total Buys Engie's LNG Business For $1.5B (Nov 08)
Company: Subsea 7 more info
- Subsea 7 Shares Surge On Special Dividend, Q4 Earnings Beat (Mar 02)
- Subsea 7 Takes Delivery of New Vessels (Feb 02)
- Report: Oil, Gas Companies in Aberdeen Face Tax 'Bombshell' (Dec 19)
Company: Nautronix more info
- OE 2015: North Sea Industry Warned Not to Over-Engineer Assets (Sep 09)
- Nautronix Appoints Non-Executive Board Member (Jun 10)
- Nautronix Latest Industry Player to Join NSRI (Nov 20)