Maersk Hits Gas, Condensate at Culzean Prospect in UK North Sea
Maersk Oil North Sea UK has made a promising gas and condensate discovery in the Culzean prospect in the UK Central North Sea. The Culzean exploration well has been successfully completed, confirming the presence of hydrocarbons.
Maersk successfully completed the High Pressure and High Temperature (HPHT) Culzean exploration well located in Block 22/25a in the UK Central North Sea on December 2, 2008. The well encountered a promising gas condensate column in reservoirs of Middle Jurassic to Triassic age. Evaluations are now ongoing to determine size of the gas volume, commerciality and possible development options.
The Culzean discovery is located in block 22/25a (license P111) at a water depth of some 92 meters and is located approximately 30 km north of the existing Elgin-Franklin field, operated by Total and with Eni UK Limited participating with a 21.87% equity share.
Maersk Oil’s interest (currently 66%) in block 22/25a was acquired from BP in 2004. Partners in the block are Nippon Oil (17%) and ENI (17%).
Commenting, Aberdeen-based Managing Director Kurt Normann Nielsen said, "The Culzean well presented significant technical challenges, including complex HPHT conditions. This is an example of how a technology driven approach can add new opportunities in the North Sea and we hope that our evaluation of this gas find will lead to a commercial field development."
Operates 32 Offshore Rigs
- BP Returns To Solar With Investment In Lightsource (Dec 15)
- BP: 2017 'Massive' Year for Global Upstream Projects (Dec 07)
- BP Seeks Stake In Cairn Energy Senegal Assets (Nov 20)
Company: Total S.A. more info
- Total Starts Up Antwerp Refinery And Petrochem Complex After Upgrade (Nov 30)
- Hoegh LNG: Pakistan LNG Import Project Consortium Folds (Nov 16)
- France's Total Buys Engie's LNG Business For $1.5B (Nov 08)
Company: ENI more info
Operates 11 Offshore Rigs
- Italy Prosecutors Probe Eni For Tax Evasion At Refineries (Nov 22)
- Officials: BP, Eni Interested In Developing Iraq's Majnoon Oilfield (Nov 20)
- Eni's Giant Gas Field Prompts Egypt to End Imports in 2018 (Nov 15)
Company: Maersk Oil & Gas more info
- Maersk Oil CEO To Step Down After Total Takeover (Sep 27)
- Maersk Stands to Get Another $7.5 Billion for Energy Divestments (Aug 21)
- Fars News Agency: Maersk Sees Up To 140,000 Bpd Potential For Iran Field (Aug 01)
Company: Nippon Oil Exploration more info
- Canadian Oil Sands Halts Syncrude Production After Fire, Prices Spike (Aug 31)
- Tap Updates Zola-1 Drilling in Carnarvon Basin (Dec 22)
- Iraq-Nippon Talks on Nassiriya Oil Field Deadlocked (Mar 01)