Petrobras Unlocks Gas in Shallow Waters of Santos Basin
Petrobras has made a discovery in the shallow waters at the southern end of the Santos Basin, in the state of Sao Paulo. The discovery is a thick gas column in reservoirs above the post-salt section as a result of drilling the exploratory well 6-BRSA-661-SPS (6-SPS-53) by the Consortium established by Petrobras (63%, Operator) and Repsol (37%) to explore Block BM-S-7. The block is located 210 km southeast of the city of Santos, off the coast of the state of Sao Paulo in a water depth of 214 meters.
Approved by the ANP (the National Petroleum, Natural Gas and Biofuels Agency), this drilling is part of exploratory activities in accordance with the Evaluation Plan at well 1-BSS-68 where natural gas had been identified in post-salt section reservoirs.
The find was confirmed through cable tests conducted in the sandstone reservoirs situated at a minimum depth of 3,970 meters.
The Consortium is to proceed with its exploratory activities through formation testing to be executed at levels where gas has already been found, thus making it possible to assess the commercial viability of this discovery.
This find is of major importance due to the potential for gas production in the shallow offshore area of the southern Santos Basin.
Operates 34 Offshore Rigs
Manages 10 Offshore Rigs
- Exxon, Petrobras Form Alliance To Develop Oil, Gas Projects (Dec 14)
- Natural Gas In Petrobras Pipelines Up About 23% In 2017 (Dec 05)
- Petrobras CEO Says To Discuss Refining Partnership With CNPC CEO (Nov 15)
Company: Repsol more info
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)
- Repsol Says Drilling Suspended On Vietnam Oil Block Disputed By China (Aug 02)
- China Urges Halt To Oil Drilling In Disputed South China Sea (Jul 25)
Company: ANP more info
- Brazil Regulator Allows Petrobras To Source Libra Rig Hull From Abroad (Oct 04)
- Brazil's Prized Santos Basin Receives Single Bid In Oil Auction (Sep 27)
- Brazil Pre-Salt Oil Output Surpasses All Other Fields In June (Jul 31)