Dominion, Maurel & Prom Spud Mihambia-1 Onshore Tanzania
Dominion is pleased to announce that Dominion Oil and Gas Limited ("Dominion OGL"), a 100% owned Tanzanian subsidiary of the Company, has together with its partner Les Etablissements Maurel et Prom ("Maurel & Prom"), commenced drilling the Mihambia-1 exploration well using the Caroil-6 rig. The Mihambia-1 well is being drilled in the central part of the Mandawa PSA area and has potential for both oil and gas reserves in the Middle to Lower Jurassic reservoir targets. The well is planned to be drilled vertically to a depth of between 2300m and 2800m and is anticipated to take up to 45 days to reach total depth. Drilling had been postponed from the last quarter of 2008 due to delayed availability of the rig, which had been operating elsewhere within Tanzania.
Mihambia-1 is the first commitment well under the Mandawa PSA, which Dominion OGL entered into in May 2005. On September 11, 2008 Dominion announced that Maurel & Prom had agreed to farm-in to the Mandawa PSA to acquire an interest of 50% (the "Farm-In"). As announced, Maurel & Prom agreed that it would pay a contribution to Dominion's past costs on the license as well as its equity share of forward exploration costs including those of the two commitment wells, the first of which is Mihambia-1.
The approval of the Farm-In by the Government of the United Republic of Tanzania was given on November 17, 2008. On December 24, 2008, Maurel & Prom and Dominion OGL agreed to amend the Farm-in whereby Maurel & Prom have agreed to fund 100% of the costs associated with drilling Mihambia-1 and Dominion OGL will fund the entire costs associated with the second Mandawa commitment well, expected to be drilled later this year. As part of the amendment, the parties have agreed that, subject to the approval of the Government of the United Republic of Tanzania, the interests in any Development Licence issued as a result of a successful discovery in Mihambia-1 will be apportioned 55% to Maurel & Prom and 45% to Dominion OGL. The overall interests in the Mandawa PSA remain unchanged at 50% for each party.
Heritage Oil Limited, as operator of the Kisangire PSA has recently completed the acquisition of approximately 190 km of 2D seismic. Following interpretation of the seismic data, a decision will be made with regards to timing for the drilling of the first commitment well.
Block 7 PSA
Dominion has completed interpretation of the 2D seismic data acquired at the end of 2007 / early 2008. The results show significant structural prospects, which are undergoing further stratigraphic evaluation.
Dominion is also participating, together with StatoilHydro, Petrobras, Petronas and Anadarko in a joint industry, one year Metocean study of waves and currents off the Tanzania and Mozambique coast.
Dominion has completed preliminary interpretation of the recently acquired 371 km of land seismic and 130 km of seismic on Lake Edward. The seismic has identified significant sedimentary section and potential structural trapping geometries on both land and lake areas.
Mike Garland, Chief Executive Officer of Dominion, said, "It's very exciting to be able to announce the spudding of our first well, which comes after a number of years of hard work from our employees and much patience from our investors. In addition, the preliminary results of the seismic analyses for Block 4B in Uganda and Block 7 in Tanzania are further reasons to expect extremely exciting times ahead for all involved with Dominion. Financing of our forward program is top of our agenda and I am confident that the quality of our asset base will enable us to secure funding when required."
Operates 35 Offshore Rigs
Manages 13 Offshore Rigs
- Exxon, Petrobras Form Alliance To Develop Oil, Gas Projects (Dec 14)
- Natural Gas In Petrobras Pipelines Up About 23% In 2017 (Dec 05)
- Petrobras CEO Says To Discuss Refining Partnership With CNPC CEO (Nov 15)
Company: Heritage Oil more info
- Kina Petroleum to Exit Papua New Guinea License (Mar 24)
- Heritage Oil Fails to Find Gas at Kwila-1 Prospect in Papua New Guinea (Jul 09)
- Kina Petroleum Updates on Kwila-1 Exploration Drilling in PPL 337 in PNG (Jul 08)
Company: Maurel & Prom more info
- Gabon Oil Workers To End Strike At Onal Field On Wednesday (Oct 25)
- Indonesia's Pertamina Takes 24.53% Stake in France's Maurel & Prom (Aug 03)
- Maurel & Prom Makes Deep Cuts as Oil Price Fall Bites (Jan 28)
Company: PETRONAS more info
Operates 12 Offshore Rigs
- After Europe's Gas Market Disasters, LNG May Come to the Rescue (Dec 12)
- Petronas Unit Agrees Share Swap With Shell's Africa Operator (Dec 05)
- Malaysia's Petronas Asked To Exit Myanmar In Protest Of Rohingya Crisis (Nov 08)
Company: Dominion Oil & Gas Ltd. more info
- Dominion, Maurel & Prom Spud Mihambia-1 Onshore Tanzania (Jan 23)
- Dominion Signs Rig Contract for Ops at Mihambia-1 in Tanzania (Sep 08)
- Polar Resources Enters LOI, Announces Private Placement (Jan 11)
Company: Dominion Petroleum more info
- Ophir Extends E. Africa Footprint with Dominion Acquisition (Oct 13)
- Dominion to Farm-Out Stake Offshore Tanzania (Oct 05)
- Dominion Takes Reins at Lamu Basin Offshore Kenya (Oct 05)
Company: StatoilHydro more info
Operates 34 Offshore Rigs
- Samsung Heavy Industries Lands Statoil FSU Construction Contract (Sep 14)
- First Movers in Eco-Drilling: Going 'Dope'-less (Apr 25)
- StatoilHydro Delays Hammerfest LNG Start Up (Nov 23)