Countdown Begins: NZ's Maari Oil Field 10 Weeks Away from First Oil
Field development on the Maari offshore oil field is nearing completion and production start-up is only 10 weeks away.
Located approximately 80 kilometers offshore New Zealand in the Taranaki Basin on PMP 38160, Maari is situated in 102 meters of water. The field boasts proven and probable reserves of more than 50 MMbo.
Approved by the New Zealand government in December 2005, the field development plan for Maari includes five production and three injection wells tied to an unmanned wellhead platform and linked to the FPSO Raroa 1.5 kilometers away.
Activity reports from the field state that the 24-inch conductor casings for nine wells have been completed to a depth of 260 meters. (There is an extra well slot for future development options.)
Recently, the Ensco 107 jackup and the Maari wellhead platform began batch drilling three production wells with 16-inch casing to a depth of 900 meters. After the wells have been drilled to their programmed depth, each will be equipped for production and connected to the FPSO.
Production is on-track to commence in February 2009, building to a peak of 35,000 bopd once all five production wells are complete.
Participants in the project include OMV New Zealand Limited (operator) with 69%, Todd Maari Limited with 16%, Horizon Oil International Limited with 10% and Cue Taranaki Pty Limited with the remaining 5%.
Manages 64 Offshore Rigs
- Ensco Acquires Atwood Oceanics, Lays Off Staff (Oct 10)
- Lamprell to Compensate Ensco for Delay in Delivery of ENSCO 140 (Aug 29)
- Lamprell Delays Delivery of Jackup to Mid-August Due to Technical Issue (Jul 27)
Company: Horizon Oil more info
- Drilling Commences at WZ 12-8W-A6P1 Appraisal Well in China's Beibu Gulf (Nov 17)
- Ensco 107 Prepares to Demobilize from Maari Field Offshore New Zealand (Jul 07)
- OMV Successfully Completes Maari Redevelopment Project Off New Zealand (Jul 02)
Company: New Zealand Crown Minerals more info
- Crown Minerals Closes PIT Petroleum Applications (Jul 09)
- Hydraulic Workover Unit Mobilizes on Maui A (Apr 20)
- TAG Oil Targets Higher Output at Cheal (Apr 09)