Deepwater Semisub West Aquarius En Route to Exxon's Indonesian Ops
Seadrill today took delivery of the new deepwater semisubmersible drilling rig West Aquarius from the DSME shipyard in South Korea. The unit will leave Korean waters in a few days after completing some general mobilization activities, en route to its first drilling assignment in Indonesia. Start-up of operations is expected mid February. West Aquarius has a four-year contract with ExxonMobil for worldwide exploration activities.
West Aquarius is a sixth generation, high specification, deepwater, state of the art semisubmersible drilling unit. The rig has a high load carrying capacity, an efficient drilling floor layout with improved safety and working environment measures. West Aquarius can run parallel drilling operations and is designed with a dynamic positioning system and a water depth capacity up to 3,000 meters.
West Aquarius is the seventh consecutive deepwater drilling unit delivered to Seadrill during the last 10 months, and the second deepwater newbuild delivered to Seadrill that starts a long-term contract with ExxonMobil.
Following the $100-a-barrel oil boom during 2008, U.S. oil major ExxonMobil finished out its third quarter with $37 billion in cash. The company operates the Arun Field in Nanggroe Aceh Darussalam Province as a Cooperation Contract Contractor (KKKS) to Badan Pelaksana Minyak dan Gas (BPMIGAS), the Indonesian Upstream Oil and Gas Regulatory Body. ExxonMobil affiliates also operate the South Lhoksukon A and D, Pase A and B onshore fields, as well as North Sumatra Offshore (NSO) offshore gas field.
Operates 16 Offshore Rigs
- Exxon, Petrobras Form Alliance To Develop Oil, Gas Projects (Dec 14)
- ExxonMobil to Lead Construction, Ops of Mozambique LNG Facilities (Dec 13)
- ExxonMobil Jumping in to Mexico Fuel Market With First US Cargo (Dec 06)
Company: Seadrill Ltd more info
- Norway's Seadrill Gets Two Rival Debt Restructuring Proposals (Oct 23)
- Seadrill's Debt Overhaul Faces Creditor Scrutiny (Oct 02)
- Seadrill Files for Bankruptcy in Bid to Shrink Debt Burden (Sep 13)
Company: DSME more info
- Seadrill Defers Delivery of Drillships from DSME (Jan 15)
- DSME Files Complaint with LMAA Over Songa Offshore's Newbuild Semisubs (Jul 31)
- DNV Launches JIP with South Korean Yards to Reduce Project Cost by 15% (Jul 23)