Ultra-Deepwater Semi West Phoenix Kicks Off Operations for Total
Yesterday, the ultra deepwater semisubmersible drilling rig West Phoenix commenced operations for Total Norge at the Victoria field in the Norwegian Sea.
West Phoenix was delivered from Samsung Heavy Industries in South Korea in March 2008, arrived in Norway in August 2008 and has since arrival completed commissioning work and prepared for operation start-up, including training of crew in cooperation with Total. West Phoenix has a three-year contract with Total Norge for operations in the North Atlantic region.
West Phoenix represents a new generation, high specification drilling units focusing on a broader spectre of capabilities, a larger operating area, a high load carrying capacity, improved safety and working environment as well as a special environmental focus. West Phoenix is designed with a dynamic positioning system and deepwater capabilities. In addition, the rig is designed with dual derrick and is constructed for winter operations in northern and other harsh environment areas.
Alf C Thorkildsen, Chief Executive Officer in Seadrill Management AS, says, "We are pleased that West Phoenix has commenced operation on the Norwegian continental shelf. West Phoenix, with its powerful capabilities, being one of the most advanced units ever built, will be an important supplement to the fleet of rigs on the Norwegian continental shelf, adding the fifth unit to the company's existing fleet of versatile drilling units in this area. West Phoenix is the company's fourth newbuilding unit which has commenced operations during the last six months. In addition, two more newbuilding units will be delivered within the next six weeks, and further two units are in transit to their operation destination for start-up of their assignments. Furthermore, the deepwater drillship West Navigator commenced a new four-year contract with Shell on January 1. The total contract value is US $815 million."
Operates 28 Offshore Rigs
- Shell Looks Beyond Road Fuels to Secure Future of Refining (Nov 06)
- API Panel Member: Voluntary Methane Program Forthcoming (Oct 06)
- Eni Bets Big on Zohr Explorer Finding New Treasure (Oct 06)
Company: Total S.A. more info
- Total Starts Up Antwerp Refinery And Petrochem Complex After Upgrade (Nov 30)
- Hoegh LNG: Pakistan LNG Import Project Consortium Folds (Nov 16)
- France's Total Buys Engie's LNG Business For $1.5B (Nov 08)
Company: Samsung Heavy Industries (SHI) more info
- Samsung Wins Mad Dog 2 Fabrication Contract (Jan 05)
- After 20,000 Job Cuts, World's Top Shipyards Brace for More (Oct 26)
- South Korean Yards Restructure, Trim Workforce (Sep 08)
Company: Seadrill Ltd more info
- Norway's Seadrill Gets Two Rival Debt Restructuring Proposals (Oct 23)
- Seadrill's Debt Overhaul Faces Creditor Scrutiny (Oct 02)
- Seadrill Files for Bankruptcy in Bid to Shrink Debt Burden (Sep 13)