Technip Spreads Its Wings in West Africa, Expands Umbilical Facilities
Technip confirms the expansion of its state-of-the-art Angoflex umbilical manufacturing plant in Lobito, Angola to meet growing demand for longer length and larger diameter products on the West African market. Established in 2002, Angoflex is a joint venture between Technip and the Angolan national oil company Sonangol.
On December 15, Bernard Di Tullio, Technip’s Chief Operating Officer, launched the plant expansion project in Lobito. Expansion is scheduled to be completed in 2010. This is part of Technip’s current program to strengthen its presence in key regional markets.
Strategically located to serve the West African deepwater market, the Lobito umbilical plant is the only facility of its kind in Africa. The plant complements Technip’s other umbilical engineering and manufacturing centers:
- DUCO Ltd. located in Newcastle, UK, Technip’s center of excellence for umbilical research & development, engineering and manufacturing activities,
- DUCO Inc. situated in Houston, Texas, a major manufacturer of steel tube umbilicals for deepwater markets worldwide,
- Asiaflex Products, currently under construction in Tanjung Langsat, Malaysia which is on schedule to deliver umbilicals in 2010.
The Angoflex plant expansion will include the installation of two large manufacturing carousels, an upgrade to a Helical lay-up machine and a load out roller path. Technip’s contribution to the local employment and economy will increase accordingly.
In partnership with Sonangol, Technip is actively developing the local content of its Angolan projects. The Lobito facility along with the Angoflex spoolbase at Dande for the assembly of rigid subsea pipelines and an engineering center in Luanda, together comprise a unique hub of local assets to serve the West African deepwater market.
- Buyers Eye Sinopec's Argentina Oil Assets in Sale Worth Up to $1B - Sources (Oct 09)
- US Oil Firm Cobalt Files For Arbitration Against Angola For $2B (May 12)
- US Firm Cobalt Threatens Arbitration Over Angolan Oil Assets (Apr 03)
Company: Technip more info
- Sasol Plans More Hiring for Louisiana Project (Oct 12)
- Bapco To Meet Technip-Led Consortium For Talks On Refinery Expansion (Aug 22)
- Fluor Wins Malaysia Isononanol Plant Contract (Aug 07)