CNPC Unit Starts Seismic Exploration in Chevron's China Block
BEIJING (Dow Jones Newswires), Dec. 11, 2008
China National Petroleum Corp.'s exploration unit BGP started its first seismic exploration in U.S. oil major Chevron Corp.'s Chuandongbei gas block in southwestern China, the Chinese company said Thursday.
Chevron in 2007 signed a 30-year production sharing contract with CNPC on the area, which is the largest the company has ever offered to a foreign company. The 2,000 square-kilometer field has gas reserves of 5 trillion cubic feet, equivalent to 142 billion cubic meters.
BGP contracted part of the exploration work on the block from Chevron and has completed drilling 5,300 wells in a 319 square-kilometer area to collect seismic information, CNPC said in a statement posted on its Web site.
The statement didn't mention when the seismic work will end and when Chevron will start gas production.
Under the production-sharing contract, Chevron, as the field's operator, is expected to produce 2 billion cubic meters of gas a year from the field by 2010, which will increase to 6 billion cubic meters a year by 2013.
However, the timing for the start of production would be an "aggressive date" for Chevron, and Chevron wouldn't sacrifice safety to meet the deadline, Stephen Green, chief executive of Chevron's South Asia unit, had said before the signing ceremony for the contract in December last year.
Petrochina Co. is the listed unit of CNPC, responsible for most of the group's oil and gas production in the country.
Copyright (c) 2008 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
- ExxonMobil Jumping in to Mexico Fuel Market With First US Cargo (Dec 06)
- Chevron To Study Mexican Oil Block, No Drilling Seen In First 4 Years (Nov 30)
- Buying Texas Oil at New Mexico Prices: Majors Go West for Shale (Nov 14)
Company: PetroChina more info
- Media: Three Dead After Suspected Gas Leak At PetroChina Refinery (Nov 20)
- PetroChina, Beijing Firm Doubling LNG Storage in Caofeidian as Demand Rises (Nov 06)
- Iraq's Talks with Exxon on Southern Oilfields in Final Stages-Minister (Oct 09)
Company: CNPC more info
- Petrobras CEO Says To Discuss Refining Partnership With CNPC CEO (Nov 15)
- CNPC Plans to Cut Gas Supplies to Industrial Users-State Media (Nov 06)
- China's CNPC Starts Third Natural Gas Pipeline To Shanghai (Oct 13)