Platts Names Petrobras 'Oil and Gas Producer of the Year'
Petrobras was named the oil and gas producer of the year by the 2008 Platts Global Energy Awards, an award granted annually by Platts, one of the global leaders in information about energy and commodities.
Approximately 200 companies and executives from upwards of 22 countries competed in several categories. The winners were announced during a ceremony that brought some 500 industry executives together in New York, last Wednesday (12/03).
Competing for the title of Hydrocarbon Producer of the Year, Petrobras went up against companies from the United States and China National Offshore Oil Corporation (CNOOC). Criteria such as exploration results, financial return, strategic vision and operating excellence were evaluated. To be the winner, the Company showed high standards of quality in exploration and production, particularly in exploration for new discoveries and technological achievements for extraction in new frontiers. Safety and environment standards and consistent shareholder returns were also considered.
New Discoveries and Increased Production
In 2008, Petrobras announced new oil discoveries in the Santos, Espirito Santo, Campos, and Jequitinhonha Basins. In the Santos Basin pre-salt layer alone, the company estimates recoverable volumes of 9.5 billion and 14 billion barrels of oil and gas in barrel equivalent in the Tupi, Iara, and Jupiter areas. In September, the Company started producing in the pre-salt in the Espírito Santo sea, in the Jubarte Field, located in the Campos Basin.
Also this year, Petrobras put another five platforms online. In the first nine months of the year, it produced 2.3 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe) per day, 5% more than a year earlier. In October, total production topped-out at 2.440 million boe/day, up 9.4% over the previous month's mark.
Operates 34 Offshore Rigs
Manages 10 Offshore Rigs
- Exxon, Petrobras Form Alliance To Develop Oil, Gas Projects (Dec 14)
- Natural Gas In Petrobras Pipelines Up About 23% In 2017 (Dec 05)
- Petrobras CEO Says To Discuss Refining Partnership With CNPC CEO (Nov 15)
Company: CNOOC more info
- ExxonMobil Reports More Offshore Guyana Success (Jan 05)
- CNOOC 3Q Revenue Rises; Only Halfway To 2017 Spending Goal (Oct 25)
- CNOOC Completes Test Runs at Huizhou Refinery in Guangdong - Report (Oct 09)
Company: Platts more info
- Platts: May Oil Demand Edges Up in China (Jun 21)
- Platts: Oil Demand in China Edges Higher in April (May 21)
- Platts: OPEC Sees Increase in March Production (Apr 05)