ABB Collects over $150MM in Contracts to Power Drilling Rigs, Drillships
ABB, the leading power and automation technology group, recently won six contracts collectively worth more than $150 million to supply main electrical systems for drilling rigs and drillships built in Asia. The orders were booked during the third quarter of 2008.
Among the new orders are three deepwater drilling rigs now under construction at the Jurong Shipyard in Singapore, two drillships (Stena DrillMAX ICE and the Pride #4 drillship) to be built at Samsung Heavy Industries and another drillship for Metrostar to be built at Hyundai Heavy Industries in Korea.
ABB will supply the complete electrical system for the rigs, including generators, medium and low voltage power distribution, thruster drive systems, drilling drive system and related engineering and services
"ABB's broad scope of supply and in-house marine expertise helped us win these contracts. We will provide reliable power and energy efficiency to these new vessels," said Veli-Matti Reinikkala, head of ABB's Process Automation division. "Our comprehensive approach to all phases of shipbuilding, from design to commissioning and operation, provides customers with a single point of contact and contributes to the success of these projects."
Reinikkala attributes the recent commercial success to the group's global strategy. ABB's Marine business emphasizes simplicity as a driver in the design, commissioning and operation phases; ABB supplies roughly 50 percent of the global deepwater drilling rig projects that have commenced since 2005.
- Hyundai Heavy Plunges by Record on $1.2 Billion Sale Plan (Dec 27)
- World's Top Two Shipyards Signal More Orders as Earnings Improve (Apr 27)
- Billionaire Fredriksen Buys Rig, Ends Hyundai Dispute (Mar 13)
Company: ABB more info
- Oil Industry Teams Up to Fight Cyber-Crime (Sep 29)
- Aker Solutions, ABB Team Up To Develop Subsea Production (Apr 27)
- ABB Wins NOK 1.1B Statoil Power Contract (Mar 16)
Company: Jurong Shipyard more info
- NADL, Jurong Shipyard Extend Standstill Agreement for West Rigel (Jun 08)
- Maersk Drilling Acquires Newbuild Jackup from Hercules Offshore for $190M (May 27)
- Sembcorp Marine Dismisses EIG's Allegations on Sete Brasil Investment (May 25)
Company: Samsung Heavy Industries (SHI) more info
- Samsung Wins Mad Dog 2 Fabrication Contract (Jan 05)
- After 20,000 Job Cuts, World's Top Shipyards Brace for More (Oct 26)
- South Korean Yards Restructure, Trim Workforce (Sep 08)
Company: Stena Drilling more info
Manages 7 Offshore Rigs
- Norway Rig Workers Agree Wage Deal, Avoid Strike (Jun 25)
- Statoil Takes $350M Hit on Angola Exploration Halt (Nov 21)
- 3Legs Sells its Last Polish Shale Gas Concessions (Nov 05)