Maari Field Expected to Begin Production in 2005
The Maari oil field (PEP 38413) in the Taranaki Basin offshore New Zealand, which was confirmed as a commercial discovery in January, is expected to begin production in late 2005 at an initial rate of 30,000 barrels of oil a day, says Horizon Oil NL one of the joint venture partners.
Maari is located approximately 35 kilometers south of the Maui field and 120 kilometers southwest of New Plymouth in a water depth of approximately 100 meters.
The operator of the Maari permit is OMV New Zealand Ltd which holds a 69% interest. The other partners are Todd Petroleum Mining Company Ltd 16%, Horizon 10%, and Delta Oil Taranaki Pty Ltd 5%.
Horizon, formerly known as Bligh Oil & Minerals NL, says that development planning is underway.
An indicative development scheme would comprise horizontal producers supported with gas lift, horizontal water injectors, subsea wellheads and a floating production storage and offloading (FPSO) vessel.
Development capital expenditure, assuming leasing of the FPSO, would be approximately US$115 million.
Horizon says that results from the Maari-2 appraisal well in January show that the proven plus probable reserves for the principal Maari reservoir, the Moki Formation, "will considerably exceed" the pre-appraisal estimates of 35 million barrels of oil.
More work is required to quantify reserves in the shallower M2A sand level and the Mangahewa Formation. The nearby Manaia prospect to the southwest of Maari remains to be drilled by the current partners. The Maari and Manaia structures are simple dip-closed anticlines at all reservoir levels.
- Qatargas Signs Deal To Deliver LNG To Austria's OMV (Dec 20)
- CEO: OMV To Become Bigger, Grow Marketing Outside Of Europe (Dec 20)
- Sharp Fall In Applications For Norway's Arctic Oil Permits (Dec 05)
Company: Todd Petroleum more info
- OMV Gets First Oil from Maari Growth Project (Dec 01)
- Drilling at Hoki-1 Further Delayed by Rig Repair (Mar 19)
- AWE Ready to Spin Bit at Hoki-1 Offshore NZ (Mar 05)
Company: Horizon Oil more info
- Drilling Commences at WZ 12-8W-A6P1 Appraisal Well in China's Beibu Gulf (Nov 17)
- Ensco 107 Prepares to Demobilize from Maari Field Offshore New Zealand (Jul 07)
- OMV Successfully Completes Maari Redevelopment Project Off New Zealand (Jul 02)
Company: Delta Oil Taranaki more info
- Maari Field Expected to Begin Production in 2005 (Jun 16)