Eni, Ecopetrol Ink Farm-In Agreement, to Drill 5 Prospect in GOM
In Bogotá, Eni signed two agreements with Ecopetrol, the Colombian state-controlled oil company.
The first agreement will enable Ecopetrol to farm into Eni's current U.S. Gulf of Mexico exploration portfolio. Ecopetrol will be assigned a 20 to 25% working interest on at least five wells to be drilled within 31 December 2012. Under the terms of the agreement, Ecopetrol will invest and carry a portion of Eni's drilling costs for a total in excess of $220 million.
The second agreement is a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) aimed at increasing cooperation between Eni and Ecopetrol. This will happen through the creation of a joint team to evaluate further farm in opportunities for Ecopetrol from Eni's exploration portfolio. Ecopetrol will also offer Eni access to opportunities in Colombia and other South American countries.
These strategic partnership agreements will enable Eni to manage and diversify the risk of its exploration portfolio.
In the Americas, Eni currently owns lease interests in 408 blocks within the US Gulf of Mexico, 70% of which are located in deepwater. In this area, Eni delivered a strong exploration performance in 2008, with a success rate above 80%, and continues to be a key producer with a daily equity production in excess of 100,000 boe. In addition, the company owns lease interest in 173 licenses in the North Slope of Alaska. In South America Eni carries out exploration and/or production activities in Venezuela, Trinidad & Tobago, Ecuador, Brazil and Argentina.
Operates 11 Offshore Rigs
- BSEE: Italy's Eni Begins Drilling Oil Well In Alaska's Beaufort Sea (Dec 27)
- Eni 'Mission Impossible' Points to Seismic Shift for Big Oil (Dec 22)
- Sanction-Proof Oil Rig Beats US Policy From Cuba to Russia (Dec 19)
Company: Ecopetrol more info
- Colombia's Ecopetrol Names New CEO, Echeverry Resigns (Aug 17)
- Colombia's Ecopetrol Rubiales Oil Output Hit By Protests (Jun 27)
- Rebel Bomb Attack Halts Colombia's Cano Limon Crude Pipeline (Jun 22)