Sterling Unlocks Oil at UK North Sea's Bowstring East
Sterling has announced the successful drilling of the Cladhan well located on the Bowstring East Prospect, Block 210/29a, in the United Kingdom North Sea. Sterling holds a 39.9% interest and is the operator of the License P1064.
Well 210/29a-4 has encountered an oil column in excess of 110ft (34m) with no observed oil-water contact, in an Upper Jurassic sequence below 9,450ft (MDRT) containing 25ft (8m) of sandstones with log porosity exceeding 20% and showing high oil saturations. Although the well will not be flow tested, an extensive pressure test measurement program and the collection of oil samples through a Modular Formation Tester (MDT) logging tool, suggest good reservoir mobility and therefore promising productive potential. The well will be suspended providing the group the option to re-enter, side-track, flow test, at a later date, once the data-set collected has been evaluated for potential resource size and commercial options.
David Findlater, Vice President for Exploration at Sterling, stated, "This wildcat well has met all expectations and confirmed the presence of a hydrocarbon bearing stratigraphic trap. Our immediate plan is to integrate the well results with the seismic data and to determine the size of the oil accumulation before submitting our appraisal strategy."
Stewart Gibson, Chief Executive Officer of Sterling, added, "We are extremely pleased to find hydrocarbons with our first well in the Northern North Sea. We are very excited about the potential on this block and look forward to appraising the discovery in the near future. This area was the first of Sterling's North Sea awards under the newly introduced 'Promote License Round' initiative in the 21st UK Offshore Round in 2003 " and we are pleased to see the efforts result in a successful well."
Well 210/29a-4 was drilled to target a seismic amplitude-driven Upper Jurassic anomaly, down-dip and eastwards from the East Shetland Platform. The well, in 535ft(163m) water depth using Transocean's 704 semisubmersible rig, was spudded on October 15, 2008 and reached a total measured depth of 9,735ft (2,967m) on 12th November 2008. Services for the well were provided by Advanced Drilling Technology International (ADTI).
The co-ventures in UKCS license p1064 which includes block 210/29a are Sterling Resources (UK) LTD (Operator, 39.9%), Revus Energy (UK North Sea) Limited 33.5%, Encore Petroleum Limited (16.6%) and Dyas (UK Limited (10%).
Manages 46 Offshore Rigs
- Oil's Biggest Rigs Headed to Junkyard as Daily Losses Mount (Oct 18)
- Transocean To Buy Norwegian Rig Firm Songa Offshore For $1.1B (Aug 15)
- Borr Drilling Signs Deal With Transocean to Buy 15 Rigs (Mar 20)
Company: Sterling Resources more info
- Britain's Breagh Gas Field Back Up after 7 Week Closure (Dec 30)
- Production at UK Breagh Gas Field to Resume in 6-8 Weeks (Nov 20)
- UK's Breagh Gas Field Shut, Maybe for Two Weeks - Sterling (Nov 13)
Company: Revus Energy more info
- StatoilHydro Makes Small Gas Discovery at Canon Prospect (Apr 30)
- RWE Confirms Successful Luno Appraisal Test, Field Extension (Jan 30)
- Spring Energy Snags Stake in North Sea Production License (Jan 28)
Company: EnCore Oil plc more info
- Deo Petroleum: Amalgamation Agreement Finalized (Jan 12)
- Egdon Acquires EnCore Stake (Jan 06)
- Weather Delays Drilling at EnCore's Tudor Rose Well (Dec 08)
Company: Dyas BV more info
- Ithaca Says Stella Production Facility Undergoing Sea Trials (Jul 22)
- Lundin Finds Gas at Maligan Prospect Offshore East Malaysia (Mar 03)
- Lundin Farms Out Stakes in 3 PSCs Offshore Malaysia to DYAS (Feb 02)