Colombia Auctions Rights to Seek, Produce Oil on 22 Areas
BOGOTA (Dow Jones Newswires), November 11, 2008
The Colombian oil licensing agency auctioned rights to seek and produce oil or gas in 22 areas across the country.
The ANH, as the agency is known, picked ten companies to operate 22 out of the 43 areas auctioned, a statement said.
Canada-based Pacific Rubiales Energy Corp. won the rights to explore six areas, while state-controlled Ecopetrol SA won the rights to seek oil and gas in four blocks.
The local unit of France's Etablissements Maurel et Prom SA, Argentina's Pluspetrol SA, and South Korea's SK Energy Co. Ltd. won the rights to explore two blocks each.
Privately-owned Tecpetrol SA won the rights over three blocks, while Indian Oil and Natural Gas Corp.'s overseas unit ONGC Videsh Ltd. and Lewis Energy won a block each.
The government and companies will sign the contracts in the coming weeks. The government will first check that the companies selected fulfill all the requirements.
The companies offered to pay a contribution of between 2% and 47% on top of taxes, royalties and a new tax on high prices created recently.
Colombia is currently Latin America's fifth-largest oil exporter, but if domestic consumption keeps growing at the same pace and there's no significant new discovery, it will become a net importer, probably in 2016, according to government estimates.
Oil companies produced on average 612,000 barrels per day in the first nine months of this year.
To avoid becoming an oil importer, Colombia has lured companies to invest in exploration. In the past few years, the oil licensing agency ANH has signed contracts with dozens of oil companies.
Copyright (c) 2008 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
Operates 43 Offshore Rigs
Manages 8 Offshore Rigs
- Venezuela's PDVSA To Tap Oil Customers To Pay $449MM To ONGC (Nov 15)
- Sources: India ONGC Strikes 'Good' Offshore Oil, Gas Find (Sep 20)
- India To Acquire Seismic Data Of 48,000 Line kms To Boost Oil, Gas Output (Sep 12)
Company: Maurel & Prom more info
- Gabon Oil Workers To End Strike At Onal Field On Wednesday (Oct 25)
- Indonesia's Pertamina Takes 24.53% Stake in France's Maurel & Prom (Aug 03)
- Maurel & Prom Makes Deep Cuts as Oil Price Fall Bites (Jan 28)
Company: Ecopetrol more info
- Colombia's Ecopetrol Names New CEO, Echeverry Resigns (Aug 17)
- Colombia's Ecopetrol Rubiales Oil Output Hit By Protests (Jun 27)
- Rebel Bomb Attack Halts Colombia's Cano Limon Crude Pipeline (Jun 22)
Company: Tecpetrol more info
- Union Leader: Argentina's Tecpetrol To Invest $2.3B In Vaca Muerta (Mar 23)
- Pluspetrol to Invest $500M in Peru Natgas Block (Aug 04)
- PetroNova Relinquishes CPO-6 Interest (Jul 05)
Company: Pluspetrol more info
- Government: Bids on Peru's Biggest Oil Block to Start in April (Mar 06)
- Pluspetrol Interested in Bidding on Peru's Biggest Oil Block (Feb 11)
- Argentina's Pluspetrol to Buy Apco Oil and Gas for $427 Million (Oct 03)
Company: ONGC Videsh more info
- India's ONGC Videsh to Spend Over $3 Billion on Iran Gas Block (Apr 04)
- India Clears ONGC's Extra 11% Stake Buy in Russia's Vankor Fields (Oct 05)
- ONGC Videsh Inks Deal with Rosneft to Up Stake in Russia's Vankorneft (Sep 15)
Company: Lewis Energy more info
- Pipeline Explosion at Lewis Energy Group Facility Under Investigation (Oct 16)
- BP Deal to Expand US Shale-Gas Operations - Sources (Mar 01)
- Gold Oil Initiating Seismic Acquisition in Rosa Blanca Block (Sep 24)
Company: ANH more info
- Colombian ANH's 'Open Round' Roadshow Visits Houston (Feb 04)
- Ecopetrol Hits Hydrocarbons at Tempranillo North-1 (Jan 29)
- Colombia's ANH 'Open Round' Arrives in Calgary (Jan 27)
Company: SK Energy more info
- S. Korea's SK Energy Buys First US Crude Oil In Move Away From Middle East (Aug 08)
- Maersk Oil to Purchase Brazilian Assets for $2.4B (Dec 23)
- Gulf United Energy Appoints New Officers (Dec 22)
Company: Pacific Rubiales Energy more info
- Pacific Rubiales Posts Record Drop as Alfa Takeover Bid Quashed (Jul 09)
- Mexico's Alfa Says Offer for Pacific Rubiales is 'Fair and Final' (Jun 26)
- InterOil Spuds Triceratops-3 Well in Papua New Guinea (Jun 15)