BJ Services Snags Casing & Tubing Contract for Don SW, West Don Fields
BJ Services' Tubular Services line has been awarded a contract to provide casing and tubing running services in the northern North Sea by Petrofac Energy Development Ltd.
Services will be completed in the Don Southwest (Don SW) and West Don fields. The development is located approximately 150 km northeast of the Shetland Islands and 12 km north of the Thistle Field in water depths of approximately 152 m (500 ft).
BJ Services will work from the John Shaw semisubmersible drilling rig on the seven-well drilling program, with plans to begin operations this month. The drilling program is scheduled for completion at the end of 2009. All related services are being provided by dedicated personnel based at the Tubular Services global headquarters in Aberdeen, Scotland.
To ensure that the casing and tubing running operation is carried out effectively, BJ Services will use a fully mechanised running system that includes its Leadhand™ tong manipulating technology with hydraulic casing and backup tongs. In addition, BJ plans to install its Derrickman system on the drilling rig. This remotely-operated mechanical arm makes it possible to manoeuvre tubulars and drillpipe into a vertical position without a crew member acting as a traditional stabber.
"This recent contract award is the first we have received from Petrofac Energy Development. We look forward to providing them with safe and efficient well services on this exciting North Sea development," said Kenny Watt, vice president - Tubular Services for BJ Services. "It supports our goal to be recognized as the market leader of specialist casing and tubing running services not only in Europe, but throughout the world."
Manages 46 Offshore Rigs
- Oil's Biggest Rigs Headed to Junkyard as Daily Losses Mount (Oct 18)
- Transocean To Buy Norwegian Rig Firm Songa Offshore For $1.1B (Aug 15)
- Borr Drilling Signs Deal With Transocean to Buy 15 Rigs (Mar 20)
Company: BJ Services Company more info
- Baker Hughes Closes BJ Services Acquisition (Apr 29)
- Baker Hughes, BJ Services Reach Final Agreement with DOJ (Apr 27)
- BJ Services Gets to Work on Casablanca Platform (Apr 09)
Company: Petrofac more info
- Petrofac Extends North Sea Contract with Chevron (Oct 05)
- Petrofac JV Awarded $2B Refinery Contract In Oman (Aug 04)
- Petrofac Makes 29% Headcount Reduction, Revenue Hits $7.8B (Feb 22)