OMNI Pleased with Third Quarter Financial Performance
OMNI has reported third quarter 2008 net income of $4.0 million, or $0.15 per diluted share, on revenues of $53.3 million, compared to net income of $4.1 million, or $0.16 per diluted share, on revenues of $44.1 million for the same period of 2007 and compared favorably to net income of $2.6 million, or $0.10 per diluted share, on revenues of $48.9 million for the second quarter of 2008.
When comparing the third quarter 2008 to the same quarter for 2007, net income is essentially flat, due in part to the shift in seismic drilling activity from higher margin transition zone activity to highland areas, generating lower overall margins, which was in line with our forecast. Offshore activity continues to be below the comparable period in 2007, generating reduced contribution from our environmental services segment when compared to the third quarter of 2007.
The continuation of cost, without corresponding revenue, during the two hurricanes (Gustav and Ike) contributed to the pressure on our margin. The full quarter contributions of B.E.G. Liquid Mud Services Corp. ("BEG") and Industrial Lift Truck and Equipment Company, Inc. ("ILT") operations into OMNI's land division was able to essentially offset these reductions.
Brian J. Recatto, President and Chief Executive Officer of OMNI, stated, "We are again very pleased with OMNI's financial performance this quarter despite the effect of the two hurricanes mentioned above. The two storms are estimated to have reduced revenue for the third quarter 2008 by approximately $4.5 million and net income was likewise reduced by $0.9 million or $0.04 per diluted share. We continue to be optimistic about the remainder of the year as demand for our services continues to be healthy. We continue to monitor activity in our sector in these uncertain economic times. Fortunately, activity levels remain high in the geographic regions we currently service and our clients remain committed to continued drilling and production activity."
- Revenues: Third quarter 2008 revenues increased by $9.2 million, to $53.3 million as compared to the third quarter of 2007. During the quarter, full quarter contributions from BEG and ILT were accretive to revenue, which was partially offset by reduced revenue generation, primarily in the environmental services segment, due to reduced activity in the offshore market in the same period in 2007.
- Operating income: Third quarter 2008 operating income increased by $0.9 million, to $8.1 million as compared to the third quarter 2007 due in large part to the increased activity in the land based operations described above as related to BEG and ILT. General and administrative expense increased by $1.9 million to $7.3 million as compared to the third quarter 2007, due primarily to increased expenses associated with the operations of BEG and ILT.
- Net interest expense: Third quarter 2008 net interest expense was essentially unchanged when compared to the same period in 2007.
- Income tax expense: The effective tax rate for the third quarter 2008 was 38.5% compared to an expense of 28.3% in the same period in 2007. The lower tax rate experienced in the third quarter 2007 was due primarily to the recognition of deferred tax assets due to the reversal of a valuation allowance originally recorded against our net deferred tax assets which were adjusted in the third quarter 2007 due to the reasonable expectation of generating taxable income in the future.
- Earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization, other income (expense) and non-cash stock compensation ("Adjusted EBITDA"): Third quarter 2008 Adjusted EBITDA was $12.2 million, 19.6% higher than the $10.2 million of Adjusted EBITDA reported for the comparable 2007 period. Adjusted EBITDA, which is a non-GAAP financial measure, is provided herein to assist investors to better understand OMNI's financial performance.
- Balance Sheet: Total debt as of September 30, 2008 was $76.7 million and cash and cash equivalents (including restricted cash) were $3.3 million for a net debt position of $73.4 million. OMNI had available capacity on its revolver of $15.7 million ($2.7 million of which is currently being used to secure outstanding standby letters of credit and other contingencies) and outstanding revolver borrowings of $9.3 million in respect of this facility at the end of the third quarter 2008 which has been included in the total debt amount reflected above.
Brian J. Recatto, President and Chief Executive Officer of OMNI commented further, "The fourth quarter is off to a great start with all segments performing well and activity exceeding pre-hurricane levels. Our forecast remains positive for the balance of the year. Our financial performance will depend upon the ability of our client base to continue current activity levels in current credit and capital markets. The revenue and profit enhancement opportunities identified and put in place are being realized and accordingly we are confirming guidance for 2008. We project full year 2008 Revenue, Adjusted EBITDA, and EPS in the range of $190.0 million to $200.0 million, $38.0 million to $41.0 million and $0.33 to $0.39 per diluted share, respectively."
- OMNI Puts Cleaning Technology to Work on GOM Platform (Jan 21)
- OMNI Installs First I.M.P.A.C.T. Systems Offshore (Nov 17)
- OMNI Scores Seismic Drilling Contract in Marcellus Shale (Oct 21)