Sasol Teams Up with Petronas for Exploration Offshore Mozambique
Sasol announced that it and Petronas of Malaysia have entered a strategic partnership covering an offshore hydrocarbon exploration program in Mozambique, where drilling commenced in early October. Sasol will continue as operator of the joint venture consortium.
In terms of the partnership agreement the equity split in Blocks 16 & 19 offshore Mozambique will be Sasol Petroleum International (SPI) 50%, Petronas Carigali Mozambique E&P Limited 35%, and the Government of Mozambique and its national oil company, Empresa Nacional De Hidrocarbonetos De Mozambique, E.P. (ENH)15%.
"This agreement brings Sasol's equity in line with internationally accepted operating profiles within the upstream oil and gas industry," said Sasol Group GM, Lean Strauss.
"Sasol is already exploring the resource base offshore Mozambique and we are delighted to form this strategic partnership with Petronas, a company with a proven track record of offshore oil and gas developments, particularly in conditions similar to our current project," he said.
Besides extensive holdings onshore Mozambique, where Sasol operates the Pande and Temane gas fields and has access to Block A, SPI is rapidly increasing its international footprint. It recently obtained a 51% working interest in four hydrocarbon prospecting licenses in the "foreland" area of Papua New Guinea. An offshore exploration license has also been secured recently off the northwest shelf of Australia.
Operates 12 Offshore Rigs
- After Europe's Gas Market Disasters, LNG May Come to the Rescue (Dec 12)
- Petronas Unit Agrees Share Swap With Shell's Africa Operator (Dec 05)
- Malaysia's Petronas Asked To Exit Myanmar In Protest Of Rohingya Crisis (Nov 08)
Company: Sasol Limited more info
- Sasol Shifts Strategy, Evaluates Chemical Business Split (Nov 29)
- Sasol Plans More Hiring for Louisiana Project (Oct 12)
- Sasol Tempers Return Expectations for $11 Billion Project (Aug 21)
Company: Empresa Nacional de Hidrocarrrbonetos de Mozambique more info
- Anadarko Strikes Again in Deepwater Mozambique (Mar 22)
- Cove Completes Offshore Mozambique Farm-in (Jan 05)
- Sasol Teams Up with Petronas for Exploration Offshore Mozambique (Nov 03)