Eni Looking to Iraqi Oilfields
Eni is very interested in the situation in Iraq and have an eye out for the oilfields in the southern province of Nassirya. "We know the (Nassirya) area very well. We have the technology and expertise needed to develop those (oil) fields, together with the Iraqis," Chief Executive Vittorio Mincato told a shareholder meeting. The CEO cautioned that the current political and economic situation was not conducive to long-term investing and he wants to make sure that there will be a return on investment in the future.
He said Iraq needs huge investments. "We have invested some $5 billion in (the Caspian project) Kashagan. In Iraq the figure would be similar." There is speculation that ENI and Repsol-YPF could be jointly awarded a contract for Nassirya. EnI declined to comment on the speculation. Mincato said any investments won't be made in the short term. "I believe there won't be anything concrete earlier than a year from now," he said.
Operates 12 Offshore Rigs
- Eni Promises Richer Returns After Exploration Success (Mar 16)
- Egypt's Potential Gas Surplus Could Feed Global LNG Glut (Feb 20)
- Egypt With Eni to Fast-Track Zohr Gas Output, Minister Says (Jan 31)
Company: Repsol more info
- Exxon, Total, Repsol Among Bidders For Oil Exploration Off Greece (Mar 05)
- Oil's Heavy Hitters Line Up to Dive Into Mexico's Deep Waters (Jan 26)
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)