Heritage Makes Discovery at Uganda's Warthog-1
Heritage Oil has announced a significant new discovery with Warthog-1, the first exploration well that the Company has drilled in Block 1, Uganda.
- The Warthog-1 discovery has a gross hydrocarbon-bearing interval of approximately 150 meters, with 46 meters of net hydrocarbon pay.
- An exciting start to the drilling campaign in Block 1 which reduces significantly the exploration risk of the next two exploration wells in Block 1.
- The rig will now move to the drilling location for Buffalo-1.
- Drilling operations at Buffalo-1 will commence mid-November.
- Kingfisher-3 is currently drilling ahead at approximately 2,000 meters.
Warthog Discovery - Block 1, Uganda
Drilling operations on Warthog-1 commenced on September 27, 2008 and the well was drilled to a total depth of 911 meters. The well encountered a gross hydrocarbon-bearing interval of approximately 150 meters in thickness, with net hydrocarbon pay of 46 meters. Wireline logging and formation pressure measurements indicate 31 meters of net oil pay in the principal oil-bearing reservoir section, overlain by 15 meters of additional net hydrocarbon pay comprising, most probably, volatile oil, condensate and wet gas.
In addition to the oil discovered in the principal oil-bearing reservoir section, there is further potential upside for liquid hydrocarbons in the overlying reservoir section and elevates further upside potential from the adjacent Warthog North prospect.
Warthog-1 is the first well in a three well exploration program to be drilled in Block 1. It lies on a structural trend that can be traced from the Kasamene-1 discovery well, in neighboring Block 2, continuing northeast through the Giraffe and Buffalo prospects in Block 1. All these structures are characterised by seismic amplitude anomalies at reservoir level that appear to directly indicate the presence of hydrocarbons. The successful results of the Warthog-1 discovery further emphasises the highly prospective nature of the Buffalo and Giraffe prospects.
There are a further 15 similarly encouraging amplitude anomalies mapped within Block 1 from over 600 kilometers of seismic data acquired in the license during the past 18 months, and all represent additional prospects and leads which constitute additional multiple drilling targets.
The Warthog-1 well is being suspended as a potential future production well. The rig will move to drill Buffalo-1 to an anticipated depth of approximately 600 meters and is expected to commence drilling in mid-November. The movement of the rig is expected to take up to 21 days.
Both the Buffalo and Giraffe prospects were assessed independently by RPS Energy, as at September 30, 2007, to have mean gross un-risked prospective resources of 420 and 89 million barrels of oil respectively.
Drilling Activity Update - Block 3A, Uganda
Kingfisher-3, which was spudded on September 26, is currently drilling ahead at 1,957 meters. It is planned to drill Kingfisher-3, and its sidetrack Kingfisher-3A, to anticipated depths of approximately 3,270 meters and 2,860 meters respectively. These wells are expected to be completed in February 2009. The wells are being drilled to evaluate the southern limits of the field and to gather additional reservoir data in preparation for field development.
Tony Buckingham, CEO, commented, "Warthog is a significant discovery and maintains the 100% exploration success rate in the Albert Basin, Uganda, during the last three years. This discovery highlights the potential in Block 1 as we continue our high impact multi-well exploration program. The program in Block 1 together with the Kingfisher-3/3A appraisal wells in Block 3A, have the potential to transform the Company, by achieving the commerciality threshold and allowing us to proceed with the early development of the Albert Basin."
Heritage is the Operator of Block 3A and Block 1 in Uganda with a 50% equity interest in the licenses with Tullow Oil Plc holding the remaining 50% interest.
- Kina Petroleum to Exit Papua New Guinea License (Mar 24)
- Heritage Oil Fails to Find Gas at Kwila-1 Prospect in Papua New Guinea (Jul 09)
- Kina Petroleum Updates on Kwila-1 Exploration Drilling in PPL 337 in PNG (Jul 08)
Company: Tullow Oil more info
- UK's Tullow Oil Lifts Outlook On Higher Crude Prices, Output (Nov 08)
- Tullow Oil Signs Exploration Contracts Offshore Ivory Coast (Oct 11)
- Britain's Tullow Launches Oil, Gas Exploration In Zambia (Aug 11)