PSA Audits BP's Valhall, Ula Structures, Notes 9 Nonconformities
During the period May 14-30, 2008, the Petroleum Safety Authority Norway (PSA) audited BP Norge AS' (BP) safeguarding of technical integrity for loadbearing structures on Valhall and Ula. On the basis of our findings during the audit, we have issued a notification of order to BP.
The audit was carried out at BP's premises at Forus according to the following schedule:
- Opening meeting, May 14, 2008.
- Meetings, conversations and verifications, May 27-30, 2008.
- Summary meeting, May 30, 2008.
The background for the audit is the PSA's performance goals relating to follow-up of major accident risk, and is an activity within the PSA's prioritized follow-up of the petroleum industry's work on technical condition and ageing of facilities.
The purpose the audit was to verify that BP has management systems which reduce the risk of structural failure on ageing facilities, and that BP has qualified solutions for handling technical integrity in loadbearing structures, so that the intention of the applicable regulations is safeguarded.
The audit activity included BP's follow-up of its supervisor responsibility vis-a-vis its suppliers.
Nine nonconformities were uncovered during the audit, and we have identified one area with potential for improvement.
The nonconformities and the potential improvement are related to the areas:
- Governing documents related to safeguarding the technical integrity of loadbearing structures.
- Follow-up of contractors / suppliers.
- Organization and safeguarding of responsibility, authority and competence.
- Emergency preparedness in connection with structural incidents.
- Overview of the condition of structures.
- Competence in and understanding of ageing of structures.
On the basis of our findings during the audit we have issued the following notification of order to BP:
Pursuant to Section 42 of the Activities Regulations relating to maintenance, BP Norge AS is ordered to document that the integrity of the structures on Valhall, Ula, Hod and Tambar is safeguarded so that they can perform their intended functions in all phases of their design life, cf. the nonconformities in Chapter 5.1 of the report.
The deadline for complying with the order is set at April 1, 2009. We must be notified when the order has been complied with.
We have requested that any comments regarding the notification be submitted no later than November 6, 2008.
Operates 32 Offshore Rigs
- BP: 2017 'Massive' Year for Global Upstream Projects (Dec 07)
- BP Seeks Stake In Cairn Energy Senegal Assets (Nov 20)
- Officials: BP, Eni Interested In Developing Iraq's Majnoon Oilfield (Nov 20)
Company: Petroleum Safety Authority Norway more info
- Watchdog: Cost Cuts Appear To Harm Norway Oil Industry Safety (Feb 20)
- Norway To Investigate Oil Industry Safety After Accidents Rise (Nov 29)
- PSA Asks Statoil Whether Recent Incidents Related To Cost Cutting (Oct 26)