BP, Sonangol Strike Oil in Angola's Ultra-Deepwater Block 31
Sociedade Nacional de Combustiveis de Angola (Sonangol) and BP Exploration (Angola) Limited have announced the Dione oil discovery in ultra-deepwater Block 31, offshore Angola.
This is the sixteenth discovery made by BP in Block 31 and is located in the southern portion of the block, about 9 kilometers to the southwest of the Juno-1 discovery.
Dione was drilled in a water depth of 1696 meters, some 390 kilometers northwest of Luanda and reached a total depth of 3272 meters below sea level. The well was spudded in April 2008 and drilled by the Transocean's GSF Explorer drillship.
The well test results confirmed the capacity of the reservoir to flow in excess of 5,000 barrels a day under production conditions.
Sonangol is the concessionaire of Block 31 and owns 20% equity. BP Exploration (Angola) Limited as operator holds 26.67%. The other interest owners in Block 31 are Esso Exploration and Production Angola (Block 31) Limited (25%); Statoil Angola A.S. a subsidiary of StatoilHydro ASA (13.33%); Marathon International Petroleum Angola Block 31 Limited (10%); and TEPA (BLOCK 31) Limited, a subsidiary of the Total Group (5%).
BP has interests in four Angolan blocks with operated interests in two and has a 13.6% interest in the Angola LNG project.
Operatorship of Block 31 was awarded to BP Exploration (Angola) Limited in May 1999. The Block covers an area of 5,349 square kilometers and lies in water depths of between 1,500 and 2,500 meters.
BP also has operated interests (BP 50% equity) in Block 18 where Greater Plutonio started production on October 1, 2007.
BP has non-operated interests in Block 15, operated by Esso Exploration Angola (Block 15) Limited (BP 26.67% equity) and in Block 17 operated by Total (BP 16.67% equity).
- Eni Secures Two Deals for Oman Blocks (Jan 14)
- BP Plans to Drill 6 More Wells in Azerbaijan (Jan 10)
- GOM Subsea Contract Goes to TechnipFMC (Jan 09)
Company: Equinor ASA more info
- Big Oil Reuses Platforms in Latest Cost-Cutting Trick (Nov 15)
- Tight Oil, Shale to Drive Majors' Output to New Highs (Oct 16)
- Shell, Equinor Commit to Tanzania LNG as They Await Host Accord (Oct 16)
Company: Total S.A. more info
- Saudi Aramco and Total JV to Hire SMBC to Advise on Funding (Jan 17)
- Deepwater Nigeria Field Starts Production (Jan 02)
- Total Spuds Well Offshore South Africa (Dec 27)
Company: Marathon Oil Company more info
- Harvey's Wake Tempers Bullish Outlook for US Oil Output Growth (Sep 01)
- RoyalGate to Drill New Well in Equatorial Guinea's Block Z (Sep 25)
- ShaMaran Subsidiary to Contest TAQA Default Notice (Sep 21)
Company: Transocean Ltd. more info
- Transocean Lands $830MM Rig Contract with Chevron (Dec 28)
- Transocean Acquires Ocean Rig (Dec 05)
- Offshore Brazil Contract Extension Goes to Transocean (Sep 28)
Company: Sonangol more info
- Buyers Eye Sinopec's Argentina Oil Assets in Sale Worth Up to $1B - Sources (Oct 09)
- US Oil Firm Cobalt Files For Arbitration Against Angola For $2B (May 12)
- US Firm Cobalt Threatens Arbitration Over Angolan Oil Assets (Apr 03)