BP Finds Oil at GOM's Deepwater Freedom Prospect
BP America has made an oil discovery at its Freedom Prospect in the deepwater Gulf of Mexico. The well, located in Mississippi Canyon Block 948, approximately 70 miles southeast of the Louisiana Coast, is in about 6,100 feet (1,860 meters) of water.
The Freedom well was drilled to a total depth of approximately 29,280 feet (8,927m) and encountered greater than 550 net feet of hydrocarbon-bearing sands in Middle and Lower Miocene reservoirs. Appraisal will be required to determine the size and commerciality of the discovery.
"The Freedom well is our third discovery in this part of the deepwater Gulf of Mexico following our Tubular Bells and Kodiak discoveries," said Andy Inglis, BP chief executive, Exploration and Production. "This discovery further strengthens BP's resource base and portfolio of potential development projects in the Gulf of Mexico. We believe that Freedom straddles Mississippi Canyon Block 948 and Mississippi Canyon Block 992 and we look forward to working with our various partners towards efficient development of these discovered resources."
The well is operated by BP Exploration & Production Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of BP America Inc., with a 25% working interest, and includes co-owners Noble Energy, Inc. (37.5%), Samson Offshore Company (25%) and Marathon Oil Company (12.5%). The lease was acquired by Noble Energy and Samson Offshore at federal OCS Lease Sale 198 in March, 2006. Mississippi Canyon Block 992 is operated by BHP (32.25%) with BP as co-owner (67.75%).
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- BHP Sees Faster Shale Sale in Race to Exit $10 Billion Unit (Feb 20)
- Private Oil Made a Big Find in Mexico. Now State Oil Wants a Cut (Oct 04)
- BHP Gearing Up to Start Drilling for Oil in Mexico's Deep Waters (Oct 02)
Company: BP plc more info
Operates 32 Offshore Rigs
- Oil, Gas Leaders Warn Trump He Risks Harming Their Industry (Mar 16)
- Eni Promises Richer Returns After Exploration Success (Mar 16)
- Down Is Up as Aging Oil Fields Defy Gravity to Pump More (Mar 09)
Company: Marathon Oil Company more info
Operates 4 Offshore Rigs
- Harvey's Wake Tempers Bullish Outlook for US Oil Output Growth (Sep 01)
- RoyalGate to Drill New Well in Equatorial Guinea's Block Z (Sep 25)
- ShaMaran Subsidiary to Contest TAQA Default Notice (Sep 21)
Company: Noble Energy more info
- Noble, Delek Seek Rights To EMG Pipeline For Egypt Natgas Supply (Mar 07)
- Shale Producers Urge FERC To Deny White Cliffs Oil Pipeline's Fee Request (Feb 23)
- Egypt's Potential Gas Surplus Could Feed Global LNG Glut (Feb 20)
Company: Samson Offshore more info
- Anadarko Strikes Oil at Samurai Prospect in Gulf of Mexico (Jun 24)
- Chevron Hits It Big, Spies Oil at Buckskin in Deepwater GOM (Feb 05)
- BP Finds Oil at GOM's Deepwater Freedom Prospect (Oct 14)