RWE Pushes Forward with Topaz Gas Field Tie-In Development
RWE Dea announced that the operated Topaz appraisal well in the UK southern North Sea, has been successfully drilled and tested by the Noble Al White drilling rig. Flow rates on test exceeded commercial thresholds and the joint venture has agreed to take the project forward to development.
A Field Development Plan is anticipated to be submitted to the Department of Energy and Climate Change before the year end and production is expected to commence in 3Q 2009. The Topaz gas field straddles Blocks 49/1a and 49/2a and field partners are RWE Dea UK SNS Limited (57.5% and Operator), GDF Britain Limited (35%) and Faroe Petroleum (7.5%).
The planned development will be a single well tieback to the Tullow operated Schooner field 15 kilometers to the northwest and onwards through the CMS gas transportation system to the Theddlethorpe Gas Terminal.
Major contracts have been awarded to Technip for pipelay and tie-in activities, to V&M Tubes UK for linepipe and to Duco Ltd Technip for umbilical supply.
Thomas Rappuhn, COO of RWE Dea, said, "The Topaz appraisal well was a success and enables us to move quickly to bring the field into production in 2009. Developments such as Topaz demonstrate the value that can be achieved through appraisal drilling when there is good collaboration between field and infrastructure owners."
Manages 28 Offshore Rigs
- Sembcorp Marine Delivers World's Largest Jackup Noble Lloyd Noble (Jul 18)
- Oil Industry Maintains Country Club Culture During Downturn (May 23)
- Freeport to Pay Noble $540 Million to Not Use 2 Oil Rigs (May 10)
Company: Tullow Oil more info
- UK's Tullow Oil Lifts Outlook On Higher Crude Prices, Output (Nov 08)
- Tullow Oil Signs Exploration Contracts Offshore Ivory Coast (Oct 11)
- Britain's Tullow Launches Oil, Gas Exploration In Zambia (Aug 11)
Company: RWE-DEA more info
- Sharp Fall In Applications For Norway's Arctic Oil Permits (Dec 05)
- Lundin Granted Drilling Permit in PL609 (Sep 10)
- Lundin Spuds Appraisal Well on Alta Discovery (Mar 25)
Company: Faroe Petroleum more info
- Drilling of Well at Fogelberg Gas Discovery to Start in Feb/March -Centrica (Sep 01)
- Japan's JX To Sell North Sea Oil Field Stake To Faroe Petroleum (Jul 28)
- Faroe: Bone Exploration Well in Barents Sea Spud (Jan 12)
Company: Technip more info
- Sasol Plans More Hiring for Louisiana Project (Oct 12)
- Bapco To Meet Technip-Led Consortium For Talks On Refinery Expansion (Aug 22)
- Fluor Wins Malaysia Isononanol Plant Contract (Aug 07)
Company: GDF Britain Ltd more info
- GDF Suez Strikes Gas at Juliet Well in Southern North Sea (Jan 02)
- Dana Petroleum Snags Interests in 29 UK Offshore Blocks (Nov 14)
- RWE Pushes Forward with Topaz Gas Field Tie-In Development (Oct 10)