PSA Norway Orders NEM to Provide Worker Documentation at Mongstad
The Petroleum Safety Authority Norway (PSA) has ordered Dutch contractor NEM to provide documentation on the employment terms for contract workers at Mongstad. The deadline for compliance has been set for October 11, 2008.
During the PSA's audit at Mongstad on October 6-8, 2008, it emerged that NEM employed contract workers supplied by various staffing agencies.
When the Company was unable to document the employment terms for these workers -- written contracts of employment, pay slips and agreements on meeting travel, subsistence and accommodation expenses -- the PSA gave oral notice on October 7 of an order to obtain these documents. The notice was followed up with a written order on October 8.
StatoilHydro is the responsible operator of the Mongstad plant, while Dong Energy is the construction client for the power station being built at the site. Both StatoilHydro and Dong Energy are responsible for ensuring that contractors pursue their operations in compliance with the regulations.
If the PSA has not received the requested documentation from NEM by the deadline, the contractor will be required to cease its activities wholly or in part until the order has been complied with -- confer section 18-8 of the Norwegian Working Environment Act.
Act on Pay Agreement Application
The Norwegian Act on Pay Agreement Application gives the PSA the power to supervise pay and working conditions for foreign workers. Pursuant to section 8 of the Act, the PSA conducts audits to ensure compliance with pay and working conditions which are subject to a decision on the general application of pay agreements. Anyone subject to supervision pursuant to these provisions must, when requested to do by the PSA and without reference to any duty of confidentiality, present the information considered necessary for exercising this supervision. The PSA can report contraventions to the police.
- European Oil Majors Seek To Harness US Offshore Wind (Aug 01)
- Billionaire Ratcliffe Hunts Oil to Repeat Chemicals Empire Build (May 24)
- NPD Grants Consent for the Expansion of Nyhamna Gas Plant (Feb 10)
Company: Petroleum Safety Authority Norway more info
- Watchdog: Cost Cuts Appear To Harm Norway Oil Industry Safety (Feb 20)
- Norway To Investigate Oil Industry Safety After Accidents Rise (Nov 29)
- PSA Asks Statoil Whether Recent Incidents Related To Cost Cutting (Oct 26)
Company: StatoilHydro more info
Operates 34 Offshore Rigs
- Samsung Heavy Industries Lands Statoil FSU Construction Contract (Sep 14)
- First Movers in Eco-Drilling: Going 'Dope'-less (Apr 25)
- StatoilHydro Delays Hammerfest LNG Start Up (Nov 23)