WellCem to Develop HiTemp Cementing Materials for Total, Petrobras
WellCem AS, a company 34% owned by Siem Offshore, has entered into an agreement with Petrobras and Total for development of high temperature cementing materials.
Development of new oil and gas fields demands new methods and technologies to cope with the challenges of higher temperatures and higher pressures (HPHT) when exploring deeper formations.
Petrobras, Total and Wellcem have trusted IRIS (International Research Institute of Stavanger) with a contract to verify 'High Temperature LCM, Cementing and Zonal Isolation Technology based on WellCem's patented HiTemp Materials.' The objective is to approve use in wells up to + 200 degrees C (390ºF).
Carlos Henrique M. de Sa, Technical Advisor on E&P of Petrobras, commented, "In order to explore new frontiers, Petrobras has been often challenged to overcome obstacles. We are pretty confident WellCem will help us to face high temperature environments with this brand new material.
Stein Tjelta Havardstein, R&D Drilling & Well Technology, Total E&P Norge AS, added "By bringing Elgin/Franklin (UK sector) on stream in 2001, Total demonstrated the technical and economic viability of developing extreme HPHT fields. On the Norwegian Continental Shelf even more complex and challenging HPHT subsea developments are currently being evaluated. WellCem's HiTemp material could be an important contribution to manage the future wellbore integrity and stability issues on such developments.
Johan Brobakke, CEO of WellCem AS, said, "Based on WellCem's proven track-record with ThermaSet technology and a survey among the operators and service companies on the demand for high temperature products, we feel confident this project will introduce novel materials to the market that will enable operators to safeguard completions in high temperature wells. We are thrilled with the challenge and the possibility to work close with Petrobras, Total and IRIS."
- Murphy Oil and Petrobras to Form Gulf of Mexico JV (Oct 11)
- Offshore Brazil Contract Extension Goes to Transocean (Sep 28)
- Union: Petrobras Plans To Start Reopening Replan Refinery In 48 Hours (Aug 22)
Company: Siem Offshore Inc. more info
- Siem Offshore Acquires 100% Interest in Secunda Canada (May 18)
- Woodside Inks Contract for Australia's First LNG-Powered Support Vessel (Apr 12)
- Siem Offshore Bags Contract to Provide AHTS Vessel to Woodside (Mar 21)
Company: Total E & P Ltd more info
- TechnipFMC Wins Offshore Angola Contract (Jul 02)
- Petrofac Secures 3-Year North Sea Services Contract Extension (May 19)
- NPD Grants Tullow, Total Drilling Permits Offshore Norway (May 18)