Nexus & Shell to Use Ocean Epoch to Drill Libra Prospect
Nexus Energy has secured the Ocean Epoch semisub to drill the Libra prospect in exploration permit AC/P41 in the Browse Basin, offshore Western Australia.
The rig is expected to arrive on location by early October to drill the exploration well and will be operated by Shell Development (Australia) Pty Ltd on behalf of the joint venture.
The Libra-1 exploration well will take approximately 33 days to drill and will test the possible southern extension of the Crux field into the AC/P41 permit. Nexus’ estimate of pre-drill most-likely gross recoverable resource for Libra stands at 500 Bcf of gas and 19 MMbbl of condensate. Nexus also believes that a successful result at Libra-1 would enhance the likelihood of encountering hydrocarbons in the Auriga and Caelum prospects within AC/P23.
Nexus’ managing director, Ian Tchacos said “Nexus is pleased that Shell has obtained a firm rig slot for Libra and looks forward to drilling this potentially high impact prospect. We map the potential for over 6 Tcf of gas resource with the potential for in excess of 200 million barrels of associated condensate across AC/P23 and AC/P41in the greater Crux area, which we believe is sufficient volume to justify an LNG development should exploration prove successful. Nexus looks forward to working with Shell on the Libra prospect which we view as an important step towards confirming an LNG scale resource at Crux.”
Participants in Exploration Permit AC/P41 are Nexus Energy ACP41 Pty Ltd with 50% and Shell Development (Australia) Pty Ltd as operator with 50%.
- Shell Exec Says Canada Pipeline Debacle Won't Affect LNG Decision (Sep 24)
- Silvertip Subsea Contract Goes to McDermott (Aug 07)
- Canada Crude Differential Seen Staying High As Refiners Take Downtime (Aug 03)
Company: Nexus Energy more info
- Nexus Resumes Production at Longtom-4 Well in Gippsland Basin (Mar 12)
- Nexus Updates on Plans to Divest its Crux, Longtom Assets in Australia (Feb 21)
- Santos Suspends Production at Patricia-Baleen Gas Processing Plant (Jan 14)