Anadarko Makes Pre-Salt Discovery at Wahoo Prospect Offshore Brazil
Anadarko Petroleum Corporation has announced a pre-salt discovery at the Wahoo prospect offshore Brazil in the Campos Basin. The 1-APL-1-ESS well, drilled by the drillship Deepwater Millennium, is located on block BM-C-30 in approximately 4,650 feet of water approximately 25 miles southeast and syncline separated from Petrobras' previously announced pre-salt discoveries at the giant Jubarte field.
Preliminary results at Wahoo, based on wireline logs, indicate at least 195 feet of net pay with similar characteristics to the nearby Jubarte 1-ESS-103A well, which is Brazil's first producing pre-salt field having recently achieved reported initial rates of approximately 18,000 barrels per day of light oil.
"Our first operated pre-salt test in Brazil is a resounding success as we're seeing data that mirrors other very significant pre-salt discoveries in this prolific area," Anadarko Sr. Vice President, Worldwide Exploration Bob Daniels said. "It's still early in the process, and we plan to continue drilling toward additional targeted objectives to a total depth of approximately 20,000 feet. The positive results so far provide encouragement and validate our decision to relocate the Transocean Deepwater Millennium drillship to Brazil to execute our ongoing pre-salt exploration program, which includes at least four additional wells in the deepwater Campos and Espirito Santo basins through the middle of next year."
The Wahoo well is currently drilling at approximately 18,400 feet. In order to fulfill the work program, the partners have run a full suite of wireline logs including porosity tools. The partners plan to conduct additional logging, including pressure and fluid sampling, once the well reaches total depth, with the potential to conduct a drillstem test at a later date. Following operations at Wahoo, Anadarko anticipates moving the Deepwater Millennium drillship to the Serpa prospect (30-percent working interest) on BM-ES-24 to re-enter the prospect where the initial well encountered pre-salt hydrocarbon-bearing zones in secondary objectives and did not reach the primary objective because of rig limitations.
"Our exploration program continues to create substantial value for Anadarko, with world-class discoveries in the Gulf of Mexico at the Caesar/Tonga complex, offshore Ghana at the Jubilee field and now the growing potential of our pre-salt opportunities in Brazil," Anadarko Chairman and CEO Jim Hackett said.
Anadarko, through a wholly owned subsidiary, holds a 30-percent working interest and is the operator of BM-C-30. Devon Energy Corp. holds a 25-percent working interest, EnCana Brasil Petroleo Limitada, a wholly owned subsidiary of Bharat PetroResources Limited and Videocon Industries, holds a 25-percent working interest and SK do Brazil Ltda., holds the remaining 20-percent working interest.
- US Energy Operations Begin Recovering After Tropical Storm Gordon (Sep 05)
- Storm Gordon Halts Some Energy Production In US Gulf (Sep 04)
- BLOG: The Good Deeds of Oil, Gas (Aug 09)
Company: Transocean Ltd. more info
- Offshore Brazil Contract Extension Goes to Transocean (Sep 28)
- Transocean Wins Multi-well NCS Contract for New Semisub (Sep 21)
- Driller Transocean Eyes Improved Lease Rates, Activity In 2019 (Sep 05)
Company: Devon Energy more info
- Permian Auction Doubles 2008 Record with near Billion-Dollar Sale (Sep 07)
- Shale Companies Sink On Investor Disappointment, Hedging Losses (Aug 01)
- Devon Energy Plans to Lay Off 9 Percent of Staff to Boost Returns (Apr 10)
Company: EnCana more info
- DJR Energy to Acquire $480MM Worth of San Juan Assets from Encana (Oct 01)
- Canada Shale Drillers Feel Permian Pain as Prices Collapse (Sep 20)
- Encana Skirts North American Pipeline Mess to Protect Prices (May 01)
Company: Videocon Industries more info
- Sources: Petrobras To Sell 'Junk' Fields As Big Finds Delayed (Jul 05)
- Petrobras' Indian Partners Fight Delay In Troubled Brazil Oil Project (Jul 04)
- India's Videocon Considers Divesting Upstream Assets to Repay Debts (Jun 13)