Lamprell Contracts LeTourneau for Third Jackup Rig Kit
Rowan Companies, Inc. announced that its wholly-owned subsidiary, LeTourneau Technologies, Inc. (LTI), has entered into a contract to furnish a kit and license to Lamprell Energy, Ltd. for the construction of a third Super 116E class jackup rig.
The rig will be built at Lamprell's Jebel Ali facility located in the United Arab Emirates with delivery expected in June 2010. Lamprell currently has two additional Super 116E class jackups under construction under license from LTI. This transaction highlights the strong commitment for growth in the Middle East market by both parties working together.
LTI's delivery of the kit, which includes the rig's legs, jacking system, cranes and certain other components, will occur in stages in accordance with the rig construction schedule. The initial delivery is expected to occur in the fourth quarter of 2008 and the final delivery during the second quarter of 2009.
LTI built the world's first jackup drilling rig in 1955 and is an acknowledged leader in the supply of offshore jackup drilling rigs today. LTI has designed or built approximately one-third of all jackup rigs in service, including all 21 operated by Rowan.
This marks the 19th order for the Super 116 series of jackups. The Super 116 is one of five current LTI jackup rig designs, and an evolution of LTI’s industry workhorse 116-C design. The Super 116E provides up to 2,000 kip greater payload than its predecessor. The rig is designed to drill in up to 350 feet of water in moderate environmental locations and can be outfitted to handle high temperature/high pressure wells.
Manages 21 Offshore Rigs
- Rowan Lays Off Another 50 Offshore Workers (Jun 26)
- Rowan to Lay Off 150 Offshore Workers (May 31)
- Rowan Idles Rig, Will Lay Off Up To 110 Workers (Nov 28)
Company: LeTourneau Inc. more info
- MTNW Completes Winch Retrofit on 2 Rowan Jackups (Mar 13)
- Cameron Completes Acquisition of LeTourneau Technologies (Oct 25)
- Lamprell's Revenue Up 29.3% in First Half of 2008 (Sep 29)
Company: Lamprell more info
- Rig Builder Lamprell Sees Lower Revenue, To Tighten Purse Strings (Jan 23)
- Lamprell Secures Services Contract with Jacktel AS (Sep 26)
- Lamprell Expects Challenging Environment to Continue Through 2017 (Sep 22)