Operations Suspended at Rashid Field Due to Helicopter Crash
Petrofac as Service Operator on the Dubai Petroleum offshore assets for Dubai Petroleum Establishment confirms that at approximately 20.20 hours (UAE) on Wednesday September 3rd there was an incident involving a helicopter in the Rashid field approximately 70 kilometers offshore Dubai.
An Aerogulf Bell 212 helicopter carrying two crew members and five passengers was engaged in a routine infield flight. During take-off the helicopter crashed onto the deck of the Maersk Resilient jackup. The aircraft then broke up and fell into the sea.
Immediately following the incident, a fire broke out on the main deck of the drilling rig which was quickly contained and extinguished. Emergency response vessels and aircraft were mobilized and incident management control measures were immediately initiated in co-operation with the Dubai Police and Coastguard.
By 01:30 hours on Thursday September 4th, it was confirmed that there were no survivors, and that there were no additional casualties on either the drilling rig or the platform.
All operations on the Rashid field have been suspended and the platform and drilling rig have been secured.
The relatives of the deceased, who are contractor personnel and are confirmed as non UAE Nationals, are currently being informed. No Petrofac personnel are among the deceased.
An accident investigation has been initiated with Dubai Police and the General Civil Aviation Authority.
Operates 5 Offshore Rigs
Manages 23 Offshore Rigs
- Maersk to Limit Investment in Energy Businesses until Separation (Dec 13)
- Maersk Oil Begins Culzean Drilling Campaign (Sep 29)
- Maersk Highlander Ready for Action (Aug 19)
Company: Petrofac more info
- Petrofac Extends North Sea Contract with Chevron (Oct 05)
- Petrofac JV Awarded $2B Refinery Contract In Oman (Aug 04)
- Petrofac Makes 29% Headcount Reduction, Revenue Hits $7.8B (Feb 22)
Company: Dubai Petroleum Co. more info
- 2H Offshore Delivers Platform Design for Dubai Petroleum (Feb 11)
- Technip Enters Middle East Subsea Market (Jul 02)
- Plexus Continues Supply of Wellhead Technology to UAE (Oct 19)