Sperry, Total to Jointly Develop Ultra-High-Temp Measurement System
Sperry Drilling Services, a brand of Halliburton's Drilling and Evaluation Division, and Total have signed a project development agreement to jointly develop an ultra-high-temperature measurement-while-drilling system capable of operating in temperatures of up to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Total, on behalf of its partners on the Victoria project (Eni and StatoilHydro), and Halliburton will each contribute equally to the project.
The resulting system will enable Total to effectively drill and exploit reserves in its Victoria field in the North Sea.
"This project represents a commitment from both companies to push the limits for extracting hydrocarbons from high-temperature and deeply buried reservoirs," said Brady Murphy, Vice President of Sperry Drilling Services. "We already have ultra-high-pressure tools rated to 30,000 pounds per square inch. By collaborating with Total, we have a strategic ally that can help us accelerate the development of an ultra-high-temperature logging-while-drilling system."
The two companies will be utilizing innovative, industry-first technologies to accomplish the goals of this 450 degrees F project. These include a downhole refrigeration system, cold-plate technology, flasking and phase change material -- all designed to function under the high shock and vibration encountered while drilling. The work may lead to an expanded suite of logging-while-drilling sensors capable of operating at these elevated temperatures.
- Halliburton Posts International Revenue Growth, Unlike Schlumberger (Oct 23)
- Halliburton CEO Defends Fracking Business as Margins Disappoint (Oct 23)
- Venezuela's IOUs Pile Up, Keeping US Oil Servicers in Tow (Aug 23)
Company: Sperry Drilling Services more info
- ConocoPhillips Taps Halliburton for Bohai Bay Services (Feb 16)
- Sperry, Total to Jointly Develop Ultra-High-Temp Measurement System (Aug 26)
- Halliburton Optimization Technology Aids Oseberg Development (Nov 13)
Company: Total E & P Ltd more info
- Petrofac Secures 3-Year North Sea Services Contract Extension (May 19)
- NPD Grants Tullow, Total Drilling Permits Offshore Norway (May 18)
- Total, Wintershall Drill Dry Wells Offshore Norway (Mar 02)