Blackbird Sings for Nexen in UK North Sea
Nexen has made a discovery in the UK North Sea at Blackbird located on Block 20/2a, six kilometers south of its operated Ettrick field. The well, drilled by the semisub GSF Arctic IV, encountered 111 feet of net pay in multiple zones, was drill-stem tested and flowed at an average restricted rate of 3,800 bopd through a 34/64 inch choke.
Analysis indicates high quality crude oil in good quality reservoir sands. The well has been suspended for use as a production well, while work progresses to fast track development as a sub-sea tie-back to the nearby Ettrick floating production, storage and offloading vessel. Nexen is operator of the Blackbird well with a 79.73% working interest. Other co-venturers include Bow Valley Energy Ltd. (12%) and Atlantic Petroleum (8.27%).
"Our North Sea strategy is delivering value for shareholders," commented Charlie Fischer, Nexen's President and CEO. "Satellite discoveries such as Blackbird allow for quick and cost effective tie-backs to existing infrastructure which generates incremental value."
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Alberta Regulators Charge Nexen Energy Over 2015 Pipeline Spill (Jul 06)
- Cenovus Drops Most Ever as $13.3 Billion Deal Ramps Up Risks (Mar 30)
- UKCS Oil, Gas Extraction Drops 10% (Dec 08)
Company: Transocean Ltd. more info
Manages 53 Offshore Rigs
- Oil's Biggest Rigs Headed to Junkyard as Daily Losses Mount (Oct 18)
- Transocean To Buy Norwegian Rig Firm Songa Offshore For $1.1B (Aug 15)
- Borr Drilling Signs Deal With Transocean to Buy 15 Rigs (Mar 20)
Company: Bow Valley more info
- Dana Completes Acquisition of Bow Valley Energy (Apr 30)
- Shareholders OK Dana Petroleum's Acquisition of Bow Valley (Apr 09)
- Dana Petroleum Scoops Up Bow Valley, Additional North Sea Interests (Feb 16)
Company: Atlantic Petroleum more info
- Atlantic Petroleum to Sell Orlando Stake (Jun 06)
- Debate over Langlitinden Discovery's Commercial Potential (Feb 21)
- Hydrocarbon Shows in Langlitinden Well in Barents Sea (Feb 10)